starting strength gym

Thread: Not Undermining the Novice Effect for a 46 year old Novice...

Default Not Undermining the Novice Effect for a 46 year old Novice...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Mark Rippetoe -

Thank you for continually being available.

I have a question.

During the summer, I like to take advantage of my father in law’s large pool and swim a couple of laps here and there – in addition to just swimming around. I like to go biking with my kids and just enjoy the nice weather. I also like jumping rope outside (no wise cracks) after my lifting sessions - if time permits; (just a few sets of 100 or so jumps once every week or so).

In one of your podcast or YouTube videos, I heard you say some harder conditioning sessions (like a prowler push circuit) would undermine the novice effect, this is understandable; however, would lite activities (done only once a week or so) like recreational swimming, biking, or jump rope undermine the novice effect for a 46 year old novice running a novice linear progressing program?

Thank you in advance.

If you're already adapted to light physical activity, it is unlikely that it will disrupt the recovery from strength training of an intact 46-year-old male. If you were 70, I'd say to lay off the other stuff for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you're already adapted to light physical activity, it is unlikely that it will disrupt the recovery from strength training of an intact 46-year-old male. If you were 70, I'd say to lay off the other stuff for a while.
    Thank you very very much!