starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cervical Radiculopathy - No Pain but Severe Weakness in Triceps and Lats (with video)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Regarding magnets, the last time I got an MRI the tech told me I did not have to take out any of my piercings. And most were not titanium. They all stayed put.

Way off topic: I am a cop, and was clearing an imaging facility after finding an unlocked door on an alarm call. I had my pistol out as I checked one of the many rooms with large imaging equipment in it. I was freaked the fuck out for about .2 seconds because it felt like someone was pulling my gun out of my hand as I walked past an MRI machine. I quickly realized that it was just the magnet (and felt stupid), but that didn’t stop my heart from jumping out of my chest.

Default Update since my first post, including surgery

Update since my first post, including surgery

After a whirlwind of doctor visits, including MRIs, CT Scans, X-Rays — The physiatrist and orthopedic surgeon said I’m a candidate for surgery. Side note to other posts concerning MRIs, mine were done in a private imaging center using a 1.5 tesla machine. At no point were the doctors questioning the “quality” of my MRIs, or scratching their heads on its "legibility."

Here’s the assessment:
    • Left C6-7 paracentral and intraforaminal disc herniation
    • Left C6-7 foraminal stenosis pretty significant
    • Significant compression of the left C7 nerve root
    • Patient with progressive neurologic deficit in the C7 distribution with muscle atrophy noted as well

It goes without saying, but the extreme weakness and the neurologic deficit warranted immediate surgery. In addition, the surgeon was saying my lack of pain was concerning too, because pain is actually a good thing…the nerve is screaming thru pain, “stop pinching me herniated disc!” C6-7 posterior microdisctecmy surgery was recommended and performed. It's an outpatient procedure. Posterior Cervical Decompression (Microdiscectomy) Surgery

My surgery was successful, and the surgeon said the herniated portion of the disc removed was about a fingernail width. I’m recovering now, and have two more visits to assess healing and progress.

As for tricep and lat weakness, that is for time to tell as the C7 nerves are finally decompressed.

When I’m cleared to start lifting and exercising again, I’ll post any gainz specifically related to the C7 weakness. In the meantime, I’d love to hear any recommendations for building a healthier C spine and bulletproofing it as much as one can.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share with the community.

Quote Originally Posted by uxdale View Post
    Update since my first post, including surgery

After a whirlwind of doctor visits, including MRIs, CT Scans, X-Rays — The physiatrist and orthopedic surgeon said I’m a candidate for surgery. Side note to other posts concerning MRIs, mine were done in a private imaging center using a 1.5 tesla machine. At no point were the doctors questioning the “quality” of my MRIs, or scratching their heads on its "legibility."

Here’s the assessment:
    • Left C6-7 paracentral and intraforaminal disc herniation
    • Left C6-7 foraminal stenosis pretty significant
    • Significant compression of the left C7 nerve root
    • Patient with progressive neurologic deficit in the C7 distribution with muscle atrophy noted as well

It goes without saying, but the extreme weakness and the neurologic deficit warranted immediate surgery. In addition, the surgeon was saying my lack of pain was concerning too, because pain is actually a good thing…the nerve is screaming thru pain, “stop pinching me herniated disc!” C6-7 posterior microdisctecmy surgery was recommended and performed. It's an outpatient procedure. Posterior Cervical Decompression (Microdiscectomy) Surgery

My surgery was successful, and the surgeon said the herniated portion of the disc removed was about a fingernail width. I’m recovering now, and have two more visits to assess healing and progress.

As for tricep and lat weakness, that is for time to tell as the C7 nerves are finally decompressed.

When I’m cleared to start lifting and exercising again, I’ll post any gainz specifically related to the C7 weakness. In the meantime, I’d love to hear any recommendations for building a healthier C spine and bulletproofing it as much as one can.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share with the community.
    You really need to find someone who knows what they are doing to rehab this appropriately. If anyone ever suggests light weight or light resistance for more than about 3 reps, kindly tell them to pound sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    You really need to find someone who knows what they are doing to rehab this appropriately. If anyone ever suggests light weight or light resistance for more than about 3 reps, kindly tell them to pound sand.
    I too would be interested in any resources or info on rehabbing this situation appropriately post-op.

I'm approaching three weeks out from my ACDF x 2, and feeling really good, but there's some C6-7 myotomal weakness that will have to be addressed once my activity restrictions are lifted.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    I too would be interested in any resources or info on rehabbing this situation appropriately post-op.

I'm approaching three weeks out from my ACDF x 2, and feeling really good, but there's some C6-7 myotomal weakness that will have to be addressed once my activity restrictions are lifted.
    There was a thread not too long ago that completely soured me on ever providing specific advice on here again.so, unfortunately, you'll have to find someone else to give you some guidance.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234