starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weather and training/recovery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Very true. It's harder to get it all down these days. It's also possible that I'm just eating the same and now I have to eat more than that. It's also possible that I'm out and about more, coaching soccer, teaching my kid to ride a bike, picnics, even just walking around more, and such. While it's not consciously/obviously hard on me physically, I bet it all adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Until 1999, I lived in a frame house in North Texas with only a fan in my bedroom. No AC, heat was a wood stove.I managed to train hard.
    Folk born in the fifties were substantially tougher than the #tag generation. In the fifties my bedroom was a corrugated roof cement sheet room with cooper louvers with no fan and no heater, the room was a frying pan in the summer and a fridge in the winter. Now I have an electric blanket on my bed, a smart phone and my A/C equipped car talks to me when I back into the fence.

I have some good news and some bad news, tomorrow is the shortest day here and hence forth our sun and the accompanying heat is coming back down-under.

So weird. It's the longest day here. I wonder how that works.

So weird. It's the longest day here. I wonder how that works.
    I don't know the mechanics of it, perhaps there are some smarter folk on the board that can explain the process. What I know is tomorrow the sun starts to head back to the southern hemisphere and the day light hours begin to increase. I know you gave me the link to Bill Starr's "Training in cold weather" which is fine, however call it old age, but I don't train well in the cold, it takes too long to warm up, everything is cold to touch and my hands are stiff, on the other hand when it is hot, I don't need to warm up, I don't have to dress like a snowman, I get up early and things just flow better, so the bottom line is I am a fair weather trainee and I am not as tough I thought I was.

Just to encourage you, I still train three days a week still cold or hot. Today the weather was about 16'C, the sky is clear with a huge high over the country, tonight there will be a frost and get down to about -2'C, it will do the citrus good, but kill the olives, the night sky here you can see the milky way in a dark sky, that is one of the few redeeming features of the winter here.

Enjoy the warm up there while you have it.

I train in my garage in the San Gabriel Valley of LA county. It can get in the high nineties/low hundreds in the summer. I had a big fan but just bought an evaporative cooler from Tractor Supply and will try it tomorrow. But I can’t seem to get rid of the Asian Tiger Mosquitos that sneak up behind me and bite me on the back where I cannot reach! They came in a few years ago in a container of tires from China.

Mosquitoes gotta eat too.

Mosquitoes gotta eat too.
    GOBAD?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Folk born in the fifties were substantially tougher than the #tag generation. In the fifties my bedroom was a corrugated roof cement sheet room with cooper louvers with no fan and no heater, the room was a frying pan in the summer and a fridge in the winter. Now I have an electric blanket on my bed, a smart phone and my A/C equipped car talks to me when I back into the fence.

I have some good news and some bad news, tomorrow is the shortest day here and hence forth our sun and the accompanying heat is coming back down-under.
    Tougher huh??

My own father being born in the 50's and being only 23 myself, it seems to me that what you're talking about is caused by a difference in lifestyles between generations. Do you think that a stronger work ethic is more inherent to those generations because of the living conditions and available amenities causing a mental fortitude not required to grow up today? Do you think that work ethic can be built into children's lives today by making us do hard things or are we screwed because we didn't have to sleep in tin roofed shed growing up? I'll say there are plenty of people doing hard things without being born in the 50's and they do plenty of amazing things in spite of that apparent handicap.

Not sure I agree or disagree about "tougher", but it seems to me there are going to tougher people, weaker people, braver people and more cowardly people in all generations. Claiming yours to be "tougher" just because your generation had it <<harder>> is a fantastic display of ignorance that makes it incredibly hard to take people that make that claim seriously.

But what does this child know?? Probably not enough #lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12