starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exercise order on SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    On Fridays I've been squatting after heavy deadlifts and bench presses. Even do it paused or without a belt sometimes.

I think people vastly over-exaggerate the effects of things like exercise order, unless they're advanced trainees doing advanced programming that arranges things in a specific way to achieve some kind of specific overall training stress (i.e. fatiguing yourself with heavy deadlifts before squatting to effectively reduce the weight you can squat to reduce the intensity to achieve a specific stress that fits into a weekly periodization).

Doubt it much matters in the majority of SS's novice population. Just do your damn lifts and get some experience and stop overthinking everything. If you get to the point you've developed a little bit of experience and want to try something different, try something different. If you want to change something, change something - just make sure it's an intelligent change based in intelligent well-understood programming design (which you probably don't have as a rank novice with no under-the-bar-experience to draw from), and if it doesn't work out don't blame Starting Strength for being a shitty program and don't call your changes "Starting Strength" (that's all that YNDTP really means as far as I've understood it).

Novices are never going to grow into intermediate/advanced territory on their own if they don't learn appropriate programming themselves. They're never going to learn appropriate programming themselves if they don't apply it in their real workouts. If they only ever apply the same things, they'll never learn anything new. Experimentation is necessary, the point is to get the experience first - not to never experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It has been written. That which has been written shall be obeyed. Your pathetic attempt at "reasoning" pales in comparison to the wisdom I have brought the world. It has been written, and you shall obey.

YOU SHALL OBEY.
    How many years have you been dying to write that? Maybe you should get it setup as a canned response.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    How many years have you been dying to write that? Maybe you should get it setup as a canned response.
    I already suggested a drop down menu for his common responses. It was immediately moved to "repetitive inquires" with no response.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    I think it needs to be the final post of every closed thread on the forum.

I feel it's pertinent to point out that most of those other "respected" coaches have their lifters high bar squat and (in my experience) there's quite a bit more load on the arms with a high bar squat than with a thumbs-over-the-bar low bar squat.

Also, assuming you are following Starting Strength methods, I can't see this being a concern until mid-late intermediate or advanced programming when the overall loads are larger (and closer to your max potential). It's likely by the time that you come to that point in your training, you'll be doing a 4 day split anyway.

starting strength coach development program
    My favorite bench press warm up is squats.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12