starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat rack on wheels?

Default Squat rack on wheels?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    OK, before you laugh...just wondering if anyone has attempted this.

No, the rack wouldn't be on wheels permanently. They have these heavy duty industrial wheels (1,000 lb rating) that also have feet you can lock down once you are moving the equipment they are attached to.

My idea would be to build a solid platform from four layers of birch plywood and put on a set (six?) of these wheels.

I just ordered a Rogue R-4 setup and the only place I can install it is in the backyard (on concrete, of course). It would be nice to be able to move it if necessary.

The other idea is to build a heavier duty platform (maybe 5 or 6 layers) with slots to allow for a pallet jack to go under it to move it. I happen to have a pallet jack and machinery moving skates as well, so I can move thousands of pounds easily.

I would do the same with the deadlift platform, which I am thinking of making a separate item for configuration and placement ease.

Another alternative is to shrink it all down a bit and build a 6 x 8 ft platform for the squat rack and do my deadlifts inside it. The whole thing would then be movable/relocatable.

Thanks,

-Martin

PS: Yes, I know the thing has to be super solid or it could be dangerous. That's not even a question.

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why?
    To move the setup out of the way when we have company. Just an idea at this point. The current plan is for a fixed installation.

Mark, I wouldn't be who I am if I didn't ask crazy questions. We met here in Los Angeles. Remember the SpaceX tour?

Hope you are doing well.

-Martin

Ah, Martin. Indeed I do. You know more about this than I do. Just don't sacrifice stability for portability.

This is what I have in mind. It's made from six layers of 3/4 in Birch plywood with slots on the bottom for a standard pallet jack to go in. The base would weigh in at about 500 lbs by itself. If needed I could add a couple of steel inserts (beams) inside to stiffen it but six layers or glued-and-screwed plywood should do pretty well by itself.

Squat Rack on Pallet Floor.jpg

I don't have the time to go to Paul's these days so I have to do a setup at home. The garage is a machine shop, so I have to build this in the backyard. No choice there. Just trying to make the best of it. I will probably go to Paul's once a month to make sure my technique doesn't drift.

I think it would be safer for you to build some kind of platform on wheels that you can slide your rack on if you have to and move it safely. If you have ever been on any king of scaffolding/platform on wheels you know it is never 100% stable and safe, and to make it so it would cost a lot of time and effort. What you want is a stable and safe surface when you squat or press with hundreds of pounds on the bar.

My milling machine is on wheels that can be retracted when it isn't being moved. A little browsing around and you should be able find something that will do the same. Much better than locking wheels.

I have my rack in my office. It is set on a 5X8 plywood base (sideways). I have no trouble pulling from the floor in front of the uprights. Olympic lifts might get dicey though.

Another option is to hinge the front part of the platform so it could be folded up when not in use.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by martincho View Post
    This is what I have in mind. It's made from six layers of 3/4 in Birch plywood with slots on the bottom for a standard pallet jack to go in. The base would weigh in at about 500 lbs by itself. If needed I could add a couple of steel inserts (beams) inside to stiffen it but six layers or glued-and-screwed plywood should do pretty well by itself.
    Birch plywood is not a good idea. Looks nice, but they design the stuff for making cabinets, not load-bearing, and they don't fill the voids in the plies like they do with AB plywood. It doesn't take long for cave-ins to appear on the surface. I know this to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLohkamp View Post
    My milling machine is on wheels that can be retracted when it isn't being moved. A little browsing around and you should be able find something that will do the same. Much better than locking wheels.

I have my rack in my office. It is set on a 5X8 plywood base (sideways). I have no trouble pulling from the floor in front of the uprights. Olympic lifts might get dicey though.

Another option is to hinge the front part of the platform so it could be folded up when not in use.

Larry
    I agree with Larry. Retractable wheels would be best in my opinion. We use them on heavy tables and cabinets. Something that heavy isn't going to get moved every day.

starting strength coach development program
    Rogue already make a set for their squat racks, would need to be modified to work with a 2x3 or 3x3 post:

Squat Stand Wheel Bracket Set | Rogue Fitness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast