starting strength gym

Thread: Nick Soleyn SSC: Strength Matters

Default Nick Soleyn SSC: Strength Matters

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Really glad you wrote about this Nick! It's an important article, and I'm thankful you are ok, and came through it well because of your strength.

Get well Nick!

Every day, a little older, a little stronger, a little smarter.

A great article and a sobering one for a soon to be 68 year old guy.

But if there was one name I thought I'd NEVER see here, Mithridates has to top the list.

TERENCE, this is stupid stuff
    You eat your victuals fast enough;
    There can’t be much amiss,’tis clear,
    To see the rate you drink your beer.
    And from the first part of A.E. Houseman's poem how one drinks his beer is an indication of one's health.

The article, on the other hand, was quite sobering as Mark E. Hurling put it.

Good article.

But, strength enthusiasts, please don’t overlook this part: “Obviously, strength training is not the magic elixir of health . . . There are other aspects of health and fitness that we should not ignore.”

Muscular strength is independently associated with reduced all cause and cancer mortality, but doesn't seem to be very strongly associated with reduced cardiac mortality. Or, as Dr. Sullivan says “On balance it must be said that the preponderance of available scientific evidence to date indicates that endurance training is probably superior to strength training for the optimization of cardiopulmonary fitness and health”.

If you want to minimize your chance of a heart attack the smart money is still on strength work AND conditioning (maybe even some of that dreaded "cardio" once in a while).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Good article.

But, strength enthusiasts, please don’t overlook this part: “Obviously, strength training is not the magic elixir of health . . . There are other aspects of health and fitness that we should not ignore.”

Muscular strength is independently associated with reduced all cause and cancer mortality, but doesn't seem to be very strongly associated with reduced cardiac mortality. Or, as Dr. Sullivan says “On balance it must be said that the preponderance of available scientific evidence to date indicates that endurance training is probably superior to strength training for the optimization of cardiopulmonary fitness and health”.

If you want to minimize your chance of a heart attack the smart money is still on strength work AND conditioning (maybe even some of that dreaded "cardio" once in a while).
    The prowler

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post

But if there was one name I thought I'd NEVER see here, Mithridates has to top the list.
    I went down the rabbit hole a little bit with the poison concept. First, Princess Bride, then snake handler, Bill Haast, who dosed himself with snake venom. Finally, I read a pretty good book called "The Poison King," by Adrienne Mayor about Mithridates.