starting strength gym

Thread: EDS Redux: The Gordon Project

Default EDS Redux: The Gordon Project

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mark, Emily (et al.)

Ehlers Danlos Syndrome - Hypermobility Type

I never did get that fellow with EDS to trust me! However I do now have a willing, unsuspecting victim....I mean trainee! Below is a video of my neighbour, Gordon. He was in hospital for 8 months after having gone in to have a sarcoma removed from his left hip and then his kidney, with tumour, from same side was also removed. Due to complications with the sarcoma he lost his leg 'through the knee' and has spent 6-7 months 'recovering'. If you need more detail on this let me know.

Anyway, today he walked for the first time since the leg was amputated in November last year! An emotional thing to see but also a landmark on his road to real recovery. He only got out of hospital around 10 days ago and was still struggling to move around on crutches last Sunday, July 1st.

I've been promising him since before the op that I'd help get him back to full strength - and beyond - via my garage gym and, of course, the SS NLP method. The time for this to materialise now looms in the - hopefully not too far away - distance.

I suppose I have two main questions:

1.) I have a rack, barbell & plates, adjustable bench, hyperextension chair and a pulling sledge. Is there anything else I'd need, i.e. an adjustable squat box - or can the rack/pins be used for strength and mobility issues?

2.) Because my ambition far outweighs my ability, can I rely on the SS/SSC community to help us both along on our journey? (I use 'us' and 'our' because as much as I genuinely want to help Gordon, I also 100% want to learn as much as I can from this so I can become Scotland's first SSC and first SS gym owner. Ambition...ability; I know.)

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

I'm going to ask Will Morris to help us with this.

Excellent.

Sir,

You made a pretty lofty promise, didn't you now?

There are probably less than 3 people in the world I would be comfortable with making that promise to this gentleman, but, since Johnny Owens or Brandon Canada wouldn't be available to you, I guess I am just going to have to do.

All joking aside, I am really good at this. I am going to need some information, if this gentleman is comfortable with providing it, and, you and he have to understand, I would be assisting by providing general education. I, in no way, can be expected to provide medical instructions, prescribe rehab, or give medical information that should be used to change the treatment and rehabilitation plans prescribed by his physicians and therapists. You have proposed a risky undertaking, and if he consents to letting you treat him out of your garage, he needs to understand the risk he is assuming.

Yes. An adjustable squat box and a GHR are necessities, as is getting a very good, fixed bench. That adjustable bench is not going to cut it with him.

Will,

Firstly. Thank you so much for agreeing to help guide us. It's a honour to have you on our side.

Secondly, Gordon is happy to provide any information you require. Let me know if you need an email address. Also, both of us are fully aware that you're not assuming any medical responsibility for Gordon's rehab and that anything that anything we undertake outwith his prescribed program, with or without your advice, is fully our responsibility.

Regarding lofty promises and risky undertakings, can I lay some of the blame on you, Rip, all of the SSC community and the SS movement at large for inspiring me? Joking aside, this is my calling and although I may have responded a little too enthusiastically to that call I'm just so glad i finally heard the voice!

Many thanks, again.

P.S. For GHR will a hyperextension chair suffice? And, when you say good, fixed bench, do you mean a good, solid flat bench?

Will, FYI:

Current bench: Bodymax PM121 Utility Bench - Shop Now at Powerhouse Fitness

Ideas: Bodymax PM121 Utility Bench - Shop Now at Powerhouse Fitness

Heavy Duty Flat Bench-100109-00045-0001

Flat Weight Bench - Semi Commercial In Black | Mirafit

starting strength coach development program
    Send me a PM with his email address and I will reach out to him.