starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: adding "muscular weight" via "higher-volume workouts" (PPST 115)

Default adding "muscular weight" via "higher-volume workouts" (PPST 115)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    On page 115 of PPST, there is a short discussion of an intermediate trainee who is "most interested in gaining muscular weight." The text suggests one day of 5X5 for one workout, alternating with "a higher-volume workout for the second session." The higher-volume workout might be "5 sets of 10 across, sets of 12, or even 3 to 4 sets of 15." There doesn't seem to be an actual workout template in the book for this training protocol.

On the other hand, on pg. 109 there's a discussion of using lower-stress, non-barbell assistance exercises to add mass. If you have an intermediate trainee who is not an athlete in a power sport, not competing in a strength sport, and primarily wants to get bigger and more muscular, what is the SS recommendation? Is pg. 115 actually suggesting 5 sets of 10-12 squats? Or is it better to use barbell exercises to drive strength gains and use assistance exercises for mass? If the latter, what assistance exercises are recommended for building mass in the quads? Pg. 109 talks about "knocking out 3-5X10" of dumbbell presses to add upper-body mass. What is the equivalent for legs?

P.S. Neither page 115 nor page 109 are in the index for Hypertrophy nor Mass, and there is not a "Muscular weight" index entry. Might be useful in future editions.

P.P.S. I hope this doesn't come across as a gotcha question. I am a big fan of Starting Strength.

Are you reading a Kindle edition of PPST3?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you reading a Kindle edition of PPST3?
    No, softcover.

I have read the page 3 times, and the phrase "most interested in gaining muscular weight" does not appear on page 115 of PPST3.

I have read the page 3 times, and the phrase "most interested in gaining muscular weight" does not appear on page 115 of PPST3.
    Sorry, it's "mostly"--my mistake. First sentence of the second paragraph: "A specific example might be the trainee who is mostly interested in gaining muscular weight."

The first sentence of the second paragraph on page 115 of PPST3 reads as follows: "The best way to make the transition into the Texas Method is to use the lifter's 3x5 weight from the end of his linear progression for the first intensity day set of 5."

The first sentence of the second paragraph on page 115 of PPST3 reads as follows: "The best way to make the transition into the Texas Method is to use the lifter's 3x5 weight from the end of his linear progression for the first intensity day set of 5."
    Strange. That is the first sentence of the second full paragraph on page 117 of my copy. Maybe try page 113? The paragraph I am referring to is the 5th paragraph of the Variation subsection of the General Considerations section of Chapter 7--Intermediate.

Found it, in the 1st revision of the 3rd edition. So, what is your question?

is there an actual workout template in the book (or elsewhere) for this training protocol?

If you have an intermediate trainee who is not an athlete in a power sport, not competing in a strength sport, and primarily wants to get bigger and more muscular, what is the SS recommendation? Is pg. 115 actually suggesting 5 sets of 10-12 squats? Or is it better to use barbell exercises to drive strength gains and use assistance exercises for mass (as suggested on pg. 109)? If the latter, what assistance exercises are recommended for building mass in the quads? Pg. 109 talks about "knocking out 3-5X10" of dumbbell presses to add upper-body mass. What is the equivalent for legs?

starting strength coach development program
    PPST has always been a book of principles and examples. It has been my experience that putting 300 pounds on your squat makes your quads grow, so the best program for quad growth is the one that puts 300 pounds on your squat. If you want someone to write you a bodybuilding program, the best place to go is Home - Andy Baker. He can explain how to apply higher reps to your problem.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast