starting strength gym

Thread: Strength Training for a Pole Vaulter

Default Strength Training for a Pole Vaulter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Coach,
    I just posed this same question to Coach Shreck on the other forum but wanted to get your opinion on this as well.....just picked up a kid (16 yrs old) who is a fairly elite level pole vaulter. I don't have alot of experience training track and field guys, especially pole vaulters. I'm probably gonna have him 2 days per week for his strength training and all his sport specific stuff will be done on his own with his regular coach. As far as strength training goes, I would probably classify him as on the border between a novice and an intermediate. Basically my general strength template for him looks something like this. Wondering if you had any feedback:

Monday: Powerclean - 3x3 after ramping up to working weight
    Back Squat 3x5
    Standing Shoulder Press 3x5
    Weighted Pull Ups 3x6-8 (using a variety of grips, widths, etc)
    Weighted Abdominal Work

Thursday: Plyometric stuff / jump training or maybe Powersnatches 5x2
    Front Squats 3x5 or Overhead Squats 3x5
    BB Rows 3x6-8 (alternating with regular BB and Fat Bar)
    Ring Push Ups or Ring Dips 3-4 x Failure
    Weighted Abdominal Work

Thinking I might want to throw some Glute Hams in there, but I don't want the sessions running too long as he will be spending lots of time out practicing his sport during a very hot Houston summer. Thanks so much.

This looks like a decent program for an intermediate, but it has too many specialized exercises for a novice. So depending on your assessment of his level of training advancement it is either pretty good or a bit prematurely complicated.

Good call on that....I'll consider scaling back a bit on the number of exercises. I start with him next week. I'll let you know how it goes....I'll have a better idea of his level of advancement once I get him under the bar myself. Should be fun, I have alot of respect for Track and Field competitors so I am looking forward to the opportunity to work with one. Thanks.

The novice program in SSBBT should be a good start?

The novice program is always a good start, because until after you've done it you're a novice.