starting strength gym

Thread: Specialty barbell for my wife

Default Specialty barbell for my wife

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Heya sir. We're having a hell of a time getting my wife's NLP through 45 lbs for the press, due to equipment limitations. We've got microplates and love them. What we're looking for is a bar.

I'd like something in the 15-25 lb range so that when wifey is done with it, my sons and daughter can grow through it (ages 6, 4, and 2, so thinking long-term). Yet ideally it would be "standard" size with respect to length/sleeves/collar.

Assume I'm willing to fork over the dough for quality, but can only buy one bar right now. What would be your pick, if it was your family?

Blessings and thanks;

Geoff

P.S. Thanks for the tip on Luke's Barbell Club a few weeks back, that was right on. We lacked time to hit the barbecue due to babysitter issues.

A light bar made of steel will be shorter than a 45-pound bar, due to materials. Rogue has several choices of lighter bars in both aluminum and steel.

I was in the same situation with my wife and kids. I do have a quality bar, its the Rouge B&R bar. A good bar is money well spent and you will not regret it. However, I wanted a light bar for them that would work in a rack. I ended up getting a cheap CAP 1" bar from Wallmart online that is 7 feet long and weighs 15 pounds. Only a few 1" plates are needed to load it up to 45 pounds. Two 10's, two 5's, and two 2.5's are sufficient. After that point they can use a "real bar".

I have the rogue jr (10kg) bar and the rogue training (5kg) bar. The collars are going to be shorter no matter where you go on a bar in those weight ranges. The 10kg bar is the sturdier of the two since it is not made with aluminum and has 190 PSI tensile strength. The aluminum bar has a max load of 45 lbs. If I were only buying one, I would buy the 10kg bar. The kids can use a broomstick, if they need to work up to 11 lbs (spray paint it chrome and they'll never care).

Rogue was a good starting point. Went with the T-15, so-called because it weighs 15 lbs.

Bar length is standard Olympic between the collars, so it can be racked on the rack at my globogym.

Thanks, coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Heya sir. We're having a hell of a time getting my wife's NLP through 45 lbs for the press, due to equipment limitations. We've got microplates and love them. What we're looking for is a bar.

I'd like something in the 15-25 lb range so that when wifey is done with it, my sons and daughter can grow through it (ages 6, 4, and 2, so thinking long-term). Yet ideally it would be "standard" size with respect to length/sleeves/collar.

Assume I'm willing to fork over the dough for quality, but can only buy one bar right now. What would be your pick, if it was your family?

Blessings and thanks;

Geoff

P.S. Thanks for the tip on Luke's Barbell Club a few weeks back, that was right on. We lacked time to hit the barbecue due to babysitter issues.
    I bought this one:

Amazon.com : Rep Technique Barbell, 15 lb Aluminum Olympic Bar : Sports & Outdoors

It has worked very well.

I'm entirely satisfied with the 15lb Rep technique bar. $139. Full size, rated to 200lb. My wife uses it, and I press with it when I'm short on time, supersetting with squats.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No center knurl, though.

starting strength coach development program
    A 6’ x1” doll rod weighs about 2 lbs, my daughter is doing shoulder rehab with one, we also have a very old, very cheap 6’ x 1” bar which weighs 22 lbs... I have use 2” plates on both without tragic results. Keep the plates close to the hands and the moment arm will be lessened. ( aka mine has not broken )