starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Look at the video sticky. This has been dealt with many times before.

from what I can tell, my back seems to round a bit at the bottom and I think this is a hamstring flexibility issue which I am working on. I wasn't able to relate myself to any other of the issues in the members' videos. I appreciate if you could provide me a more direct hint. Thanks

The small amount of movement in your lower back detectable in these videos is absolutely insignificant. The knees, however, need fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The small amount of movement in your lower back detectable in these videos is absolutely insignificant. The knees, however, need fixing.
    I was looking again at the 45 degree video and it seems to show that my knees travel forward too much. But when I look at the side video, they are level with my toes. Am I not shoving them out enough ?

Actually ignore my last post. I'm 99 % sure the problem is with my knees traveling forward when I go below parallel. I read the section about this in the book again. I'm gonna try to make my knees go slightly in front of my toes until the 2nd half of the decent and that would be the max forward knee movement for the rep. I'll try that and post another video.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Actually ignore my last post. I'm 99 % sure the problem is with my knees traveling forward when I go below parallel. I read the section about this in the book again. I'm gonna try to make my knees go slightly in front of my toes until the 2nd half of the decent and that would be the max forward knee movement for the rep. I'll try that and post another video.
    This is significantly more pronounced in the second video. Try the stretch shown in the squat chapter (not sure which page, mine's out on loan) -- the stretch where you sit into a squat and push your knees out with your elbows.