starting strength gym

Thread: Purposely Slowing Eccentric Motion

Default Purposely Slowing Eccentric Motion

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    One of my friends was trying to convince that you will get stronger if you intentionally slow down the eccentric motion because this increases muscle tears. He even suggested curling one with hand until you fail and then lifting the weight with your other hand and letting it fall slowly to produce more tears.

It seems counter-intuitive that eccentric motion will increase your concentric strength, but I'm having a hard time finding the cellular biology to make a hard case for it. All I can find is that muscle growth occurs when "micro tears" (snapping myofibrils?) in your muscle heal and create more fibers in response to the stress. If becoming stronger is nothing more than tearing muscle, wouldn't hitting my muscles with a hammer or over stretching increase strength?

What exactly causes muscle growth on a cellular level? Is there any value in intentionally tearing your muscles?

What is strength? How is it displayed? By lowering weight? I'm not concerned with the muscle physiology -- it's interesting, but it has nothing to do with training. How do the strongest men get that way? By fucking around with forced reps and eccentric bullshit?

I heard an interview with Pavel Tsatsouline. In response to the question "How do I increase my OHP?" He said, "If you want to press more, you have to press more." It's pretty simple.