starting strength gym

Thread: Pain in crease of hip when low bar squatting

Default Pain in crease of hip when low bar squatting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone,

I am teaching one of my clients the low bar squat, but he's experiencing pain in the front of his thigh, at the crease of his hip. Usually its after our workout, a day later or so. It will "lock up" when he is standing. i believe it's near or is the rectus femoris origin from palpating it. Stretching his hip flexors seemed to aggravate it, which makes me think it might be hip flexor. After light squatting the pain moves around to the glute and he describes it as "tight, sore, and sharp. It's only one side.

I am not going to push him through the pain, but was wondering if Mark or anyone else can shed some light on what this may be, and any advice to work around this. The pains subsides with rest. He was really interested in doing the starting strength program, but this is preventing us from doing it. I have a decent amount of experience teaching and performing low bar squats according to the starting strength method.

Does anyone know what is causing this and do you have any advice for me or my client in dealing with it?

Thanks in advance.

The implication is that high-bar squats/front squats do not cause the pain. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The implication is that high-bar squats/front squats do not cause the pain. Is this true?
    Possibly, but possibly not. It sounds similar to the impingement issues I have with my right leg. While the other versions of the squat involve less hip flexion and therefore theoretically should be less problematic, that isn't my experience. I don't know why, but as keeping the knees out (more precisely, keeping the femurs externally rotated) seems to be a big part in keeping the pain away, it could be something to do with the low bar position making that knee/femur alignment easier to accomplish.

Heavy high bar box squats to parallel have caused no pain. Have not tried front squats or any other form of squatting. The reason I chose that movement is because I can see the biceps femoris tendon “dislocate” and rub over the head of his fibula after breaking parallel. Wasn’t sure if this was something I should be concerned about as well, as I’ve not seen this in other people I’ve trained.

One other thing to add is he has had hernia surgery on that side a few years ago, but says the pain is in a different spot. Saw him today and the pain is mostly in his glutes now, but is subsiding. Appreciate the reply and will try what you think is best. He can perform all other movements without issue.

Video.