starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haven't performed a single pull-up/chin-up in my entire life

Default Haven't performed a single pull-up/chin-up in my entire life

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coach,
    I am 37 yo, 192cm tall man, ~105KGs (gained few kilos on starting strength, ~108KGs now), who've been obese and on diet most of my adult life, I had 3 big weight losses over the span of 15 years (30KGs each, I reach 130+KGs, diet, get back to 100+KG, and regain slowly) which I think have killed a lot of my strength, I always really sucked at sports, but was OK when doing physical labour, not weak by any means, for example I could lift a cement bag from the ground and move it up a ladder, not all students my age could do.
    I've spent a lot of time in gyms, of the last 20 years, I was regular at gyms for ~15 years, but 95%+ of it was on machines and treadmill, the rest dumbells.
    I just started doing starting strength, and I'm progressing OKish, I deadlift 100KGs, squat 55KGs (easily, but I decided to progress slowly), Bench 50KGs and press 45KGs.

The thing is, I was never able to perform a single pull up/chin up my entire life, when obese I had trouble doing push ups, but at low wights I can do push ups, but was never able to lift my own body up with my hands.

What do you suggest for a person to fix this? What movements can I work on on the ground to be able to lift myself in the air? And in general do you consider pull ups/chin ups necessary to be considered decent at strength? Must healthy and fit person be able to perform them or have you seen people you'd consider healthy and fit who can't perform them?

I suggest you do the actual program, not your version with the easy squats and all the other shit you have changed. Do the version in the Blue Book. Then read the articles on this website. Do this before you post again.

As a tall, skinny fat person most of my life I understand your question. I, also was strong enough to function well in the world (like carrying bags of cement) simply because I was such a big person. But pull ups eluded me. As Rip points out, do the program as written. Do not fuck with it. If you do the program as written, and if you adhere to some sort of sensible eating plan that allows you to recover while not turning you into an even fatter fuck, then you will gain overall body strength.

The fact is, you are too weak right. Become a stronger person and the pullups will come. This has been my exact experience. I did my first pullups at age 42, after a year or so of doing the program. I know of what I speak.

Kshalash, you can find all of this info by searching Google for starting strength pull ups. There are article, videos, and it has been discussed in the forums a lot. I would suggest buying the starting strength and barbell prescription books.

You can use linear progression for pullups by using a pulldown cable machine or resistance bands with a pull-up bar.

Rogue Monster Bands - 41" Mobility Bands | Rogue Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan82 View Post
    Kshalash, you can find all of this info by searching Google for starting strength pull ups. There are article, videos, and it has been discussed in the forums a lot. I would suggest buying the starting strength and barbell prescription books.

You can use linear progression for pullups by using a pulldown cable machine or resistance bands with a pull-up bar.

Rogue Monster Bands - 41" Mobility Bands | Rogue Fitness
    Respectfully, I disagree. This sort of Mickey Mouse shit is a distraction to people who are 6'4" inches tall and weak as piss. This man likely has long, weak limbs that make hauling his heavy, skinny fat body skyward near impossible. There is a reason why all gymnasts are 5'2" and it has to do with physics, anthropometry and geometry. He needs to develop overall body strength by running out his LP as thoroughly as possible. Once he has packed muscle mass onto the body, he will be ion a better position to dick around with bands and bullshit. I speak from first hand experience as a person who is also 192cm tall and was never, ever able to do a pullup until i completed my LP. He needs muscle mass and SSLP is the best way to build it.

If he feels like fucking around with silly bullshit as an intemrdiate, go for it. Hopefully by then he will have elarned a few things. But nlt until his NLP is completed.

And yes, I know the conventional wisdom on this site and other places on the webs includes negatives and bands and all sorts of shit. Ive read the multiple articles "how to do your first pullup" But if youre a tall, flabby grown ass man who has never, ever been able to do a pull-up ( as I was) you are better served by getting STRONG and the best way tom get strong is with the SSLP.

Sorry if I come across as douchey about this, but I had to live my entire life up to age 40 or so with shitty advice on how to do pullups from people who were never in my boots and Ive no patience for it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Respectfully, I disagree. This sort of Mickey Mouse shit is a distraction to people who are 6'4" inches tall and weak as piss. This man likely has long, weak limbs that make hauling his heavy, skinny fat body skyward near impossible. There is a reason why all gymnasts are 5'2" and it has to do with physics, anthropometry and geometry. He needs to develop overall body strength by running out his LP as thoroughly as possible. Once he has packed muscle mass onto the body, he will be ion a better position to dick around with bands and bullshit. I speak from first hand experience as a person who is also 192cm tall and was never, ever able to do a pullup until i completed my LP. He needs muscle mass and SSLP is the best way to build it.

If he feels like fucking around with silly bullshit as an intemrdiate, go for it. Hopefully by then he will have elarned a few things. But nlt until his NLP is completed.

And yes, I know the conventional wisdom on this site and other places on the webs includes negatives and bands and all sorts of shit. Ive read the multiple articles "how to do your first pullup" But if youre a tall, flabby grown ass man who has never, ever been able to do a pull-up ( as I was) you are better served by getting STRONG and the best way tom get strong is with the SSLP.

Sorry if I come across as douchey about this, but I had to live my entire life up to age 40 or so with shitty advice on how to do pullups from people who were never in my boots and Ive no patience for it anymore.
    You are supposed to introduce pullups or chinups in the advanced novice phase of ssnlp.

Training the Chin-Up | Niki Sims

And in response to your last sentence you do come across as douchey, assumptive, and ignorant. As if I don't have the same stuggles as you in trying to do pullups. You claim to follow ssnlp but you don't know that part of the program is to implement pullups during ssnlp? You should probably do some more reading bro. YNDTFP

Just do the program dude. When you put another 100-150 lb on your deadlift you won't even have this question. When it was time for me to add chins into the program, I could do multiple no problem; and I was weak starting out with no chance at a legit chin up.

You are supposed to introduce pullups or chinups in the advanced novice phase of ssnlp.

And in response to your last sentence you do come across as douchey, assumptive, and ignorant. As if I don't have the same stuggles as you in trying to do pullups. You claim to follow ssnlp but you don't know that part of the program is to implement pullups during ssnlp? You should probably do some more reading bro. YNDTFP
    Hmmmm...should he follow the advice of Mark Rippetoe and the advice of a FBW who has actually gone through what they are talking about or follow the advice of Random Guy?
    Niki made it pretty clear in the article that accessory exercises should only be conducted in a way that doesn't interfere with proper training.

Fair enough. But my opinion still stands. When I commenced my NLP back in 2011 (or maybe it was earlier?) I did it out of the brown book and I dont remember chins being programmed so early, although of course they were accessory exercises. I just didnt do them. Others mmv, but fair enough - YNDTFP if you hold off on chins.

Rip: were chins programmed into the NLP back in the days of the brown book? I lost my brown book so I cant check.

starting strength coach development program
    They were, but not everybody can do chins, and not everybody can expect to develop the ability to use them in training. If I start a 55-year-old sedentary guy who is 6'3" at 250 with no training history, I'd be surprised if he ever chins himself, and I wouldn't do much more than a few lat pulls for his arms. The deadlift gets his lats strong, so he's covered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast