starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm Ups for old guy

Default Warm Ups for old guy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know this is a bot of a repetitive inquiry, but Im wondering if Im doing too many squat warmups. Age 48, ht 6'4", weight 278, carnivore, goddam sexual tyranosaurus:

No jogging, biking, foam rolling or pre-workout jelquing

EB x 10
    65 x 5
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x3
    275 x 3
    315 x 3
    365 x 2
    405 x 1
    425 x 3,3,3 (work sets)

Im doing a modified Texas method, 3 days per week, so this was my most recent volume day (i.e. Monday) training session. As I look at it, it seems like a lot.

Your thoughts?

If I was going to squat 425 x 3 x 3, my warmups would be

45 x 3 x 2
    135 x 2 x 2
    225 x 2
    315 x 1
    385 x 1
    425 x 3 x 3.

Thank you.

By poundage, thats 6,060 lbs in warmups v. 1,960 in warmups. Do you think thats my problem? Im just doing too much? Because its 10 sets v 7 sets, also. Am I needlessly tiring myself out? Because I "FEEL" pretty good when it comes time to my work sets. Are my feelings misleading me? Thus is about how Ive warmed upo ever since my NLP, hence the 65 and 95 pound weights in the beginning.

FatButWeak,

If I counted correctly you have like 40 squat reps for warm up with weight climbing towards goal reps and Rip has 14. Do you feel its more comfortable in the mind by climbing slowly. I used to do the same thing. Not as many reps but close. I always felt, at least in my mind that jumping a full plate on each side messed with my head without having an in between small warm up set. Then I noticed I was already sweating and breathing heavy by the time I have to perform the lifts.

I have a bike so if I was just tight all over from sitting all day at work I may sometimes pedal for about 30 seconds (very, very easy) for a little blood flow or use my rower before a deadlift for a few light strokes but never anything major. I would say give Rips warm up a try, for me now that I cut my warm ups back I get a little more energy for the big lifts and not as much volume so recovery goes well also.
    My 2 Cents . . .
    Sparky
    P.S. I am 47 and 253lbs. at 5'10"

I got tired just reading that warm up.

I'm 51 and I do:

No bar 1 x 10 (I have to just to get moving or my hips just won't get that low)
    EB 2 x 5
    135 1x5
    225 1x2
    315 1x1
    Work sets 335-355 or so

Frankly...after that my warmups are even shorter for the next lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Thank you.

By poundage, thats 6,060 lbs in warmups v. 1,960 in warmups. Do you think thats my problem? Im just doing too much? Because its 10 sets v 7 sets, also. Am I needlessly tiring myself out? Because I "FEEL" pretty good when it comes time to my work sets. Are my feelings misleading me? Thus is about how Ive warmed upo ever since my NLP, hence the 65 and 95 pound weights in the beginning.
    If you have a problem, that's probably what it is.

Relish the time when you can go from empty bar warmup to putting on those 45s on each side!

Age 48, ht 6'4", weight 278, carnivore, goddam sexual tyranosaurus:
    I'm intrigued and have many questions. Also I'm wondering how you press with your tiny arms and giant head.

Coach Rip:

I notice your example uses exactly 4 sets between EB and Working set, with a weight curve that starts steep then shallows slightly (+90, +90, +70, +40). Which is what I think is explicitly recommended in the Blue Book. Or else PP. Hell I'm re-reading chapters so often right now I don't know what's where. Anyway, I've wondered as my LP gets into later stages:

Is that 4-set paradigm intended to be irrespective of how high you're going? If your intention was to squat 605x3x3 on the top end, would you still find only four loaded warmups, with a similar loading curve?

starting strength coach development program
    Once you get your squat to 600, you'll have developed a preference. Just don't do too many sets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast