starting strength gym

Thread: Is a formal education required to obtain the SSC Credential?

Default Is a formal education required to obtain the SSC Credential?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey there Mark, I’ve heard you state a couple of times in various interviews and whatnot that a formal education definitely lends itself to being qualified to become a SSC. While I certainly don’t disagree, I was curious if there were any SSCs working today that do not have a formal college education, and were able to pass based solely on critical analysis skills, coaching ability and study and knowledge of the SS concepts and material. And if so, how much of a disadvantage does that pose as opposed to having obtained a degree of some kind? Thank you, sir!

I have said that an education in the sciences is necessary. In fact, the current environment in most colleges and universities, both socially and academically, argues against wasting the time there. There are better ways to become educated in 2018. Most SSCs do not have a formal education in PE, and those that do found it to be a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have said that an education in the sciences is necessary. In fact, the current environment in most colleges and universities, both socially and academically, argues against wasting the time there. There are better ways to become educated in 2018. Most SSCs do not have a formal education in PE, and those that do found it to be a waste of time.
    If somebody is already pursuing a bachelor's degree in something else, would you recommend taking extra science courses at the university (for aspiring coaches)? If so, anything specific?

Freshmen-level physics, biology through the General Physiology level. And you must train.

I can also confirm that course work in PE is pretty much a waste of money. I've learned far more about the human body from discussions on this board, texts recommended , training myself and coaching others. However I made the choice to be a PE teacher....so i had to sit through all that malarky and now I get to wear sweats to work everyday.