starting strength gym

Thread: Barbells and squat racks - are they risky for old folks?

Question Barbells and squat racks - are they risky for old folks?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark -

As I said earlier, I’m an active male of 75 and much into your book and Sully’s book and presentation. I believe that strength is key for us old-timers and should be job 1 for seniors everywhere. Let’s avoid Sully’s “sick aging phenotype” of insulin resistance, high blood pressure, frailty, loss of bone and muscle mass, etc. I have personal experience with an 88-year-old uncle who can check off all of these maladies, plus a few.

SO we live in an over-55 development of nearly 1000 homes with an excellent lodge and fitness center -- except for one thing: in that fitness center there are machines and some dumbbells, but no squat rack and no barbells.

I have been to the fitness committee with a short pitch and thought it would be fairly easy to get approval to add the equipment. But I was told no, squat racks and barbells are too risky for old folks.

They have a fitness coordinator that advises the committee.

Our community is advertised as one for “active adults”, and seems to be that. People are in the fitness center and its swimming pool. There’s golf and tennis.

Questions - Have you run into this safety thing? Is it real? I’m thinking of joining the committee in hopes of educating them on the benefits of barbells and to push for adoption.

Any advice is appreciated.

You will probably not win this one. Best thing is to get your own rack and train in your house. They can't keep you from doing that, and when you're coaching 15 of your neighbors next year, the committee may be persuaded.

Thanks. Left out that I joined LA Fitness 3 months ago, where I can use their rack and barbells, which are fine.

Note their gym seems to fit your description by having lots of machines. And I watched a coach show how to squat, who sure left out a lot of what you guys say; nothing about 30-degree foot stance or getting hips below knees.

Not risky. Essential.