starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why I Stopped Running After 51 Years: A Goodbye to Running / by Phil Ringman

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    MAD9692 i dont think hes a troll. Past posts show him as a runner just starting out trying ro learn and break the cardio addiction.
    Sparky
    Quote Originally Posted by artgood View Post
    I want to get stronger , but I refuse to gain a pound.

Not sure where to go from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    this has to be a troll...right?
    Ok

I understand why you would think that. I apologize. However, I am not a troll. I come here with a genuine desire to learn and get my start in strength training off on the right foot. Like I said in a reply above it is hard to quit something that really has defined me for nearly 25 years. I started running in 1991 when I graduated from high school. I lost about 30 lbs between my junior and senior year when I decided to play football. That and wrestling helped me keep my weight down. I shot up to 235 after my son was born and I went, you guessed it, back to running. It worked as far as weight loss is concerned, but I noticed recently how weak I am. Thus my beginning down the Starting Strength road.

I'm working through the book. I have talked to a guy in my state about some coaching to get me started. Just have to make the drive to see him.

starting strength coach development program
    Understood Artgood, the struggle is real for those addicted to running. As mentioned however it comes at a cost such as knees, IT band, surguries, tendonitus and the list goes on. The author of this article, myself and many others on the forum get it and have been there. Like anything in life it can be taken too far.

Is it body composition or the skinny look that you are trying to keep or just whole souled fear of getting big again that is forcing you to run your body into the ground? Why not just watch your diet and macros and strength train? Diet is the major factor for weight gain vs. loss. If anything you will get stronger and your composition will change towards a more muscular, toned look. There is a great new podcast out on Barbell Logic with Santana discussing the Dad bod and body fat percentage. Also you have tons of other nutrition (calories in vs. calories out) podcasts with Santana and others. You can still do conditioning just keep it in balance. Even better would be to run a true novice LP. Just give it 3 months and you will be amazed. Will 10lbs of weight gain put you over the edge if you are the strongest healthiest version of you?

I never did a real novice LP (close as I could with health issues) and yet I still lost some weight, changed my body comp and can dead and squat 405 at will. I love it when someone out of the blue asks if I lift. No one ever asked if I ran.

You remind me of a gentleman in my neighborhood that I see running almost every day. Its my old 5 mile running route past my street that I see him on for a at least the past 8 years now, maybe more. When i first saw him he was a little larger and I used to think "good for you dude, get after it". Then I would see he lost some weight and I thought "thats great stuff good for him." Now when I see him he has a soft brace on each knee and looks emaciated and beat down. He is not any faster. Matter of fact it looks painful to watch him run up our Naugatuck Valley hills in CT. Now when I see him I think and my Wife has even heard me say to myself out loud "dude you gotta stop your killing yourself."

I don't know you so I say this with respect; It doesn't sound like your healthy or have good over all well being right now if you continually pummel your body just for the fear of some weight gain. Please do not let society dictate what you are supposed to look like with weight and image. It's about health and well being.
    Sparky

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123