starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumper plates vs iron plates

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We need an definitive article on the technical aspects of bar metallurgy and mechanical characteristics. You guys want to collaborate on this?
    OK Gents, you have been called out to make a significant contribution to the SS community. Your mechanical, structural and /or metallurgical experience is needed to write the definitve article about the physical properties of bars under static and dynamic loading as it relates to deadlifts. This is a serious request (by Rip himself) and would make for a great article. This is what makes thre SS community so great, this type of expertise and members willing to offer their time to adv

Some of you clearly demonstrate such knowledge and experience in these fields and strength training. And you also have every reason int he world to not write the article: you have too much too do. You have never written publicly and are hesitant to do so. So what, you benefit from SS and perhaps you have an obligation to return value to the SS community by contributing a great article.

I would help of course but I failed the Mechanical Engineering PE many years ago and feel quite unqualified because I do not practice int he field. Also, I was called out by Rip as well to write an article about a topic I inquired about on the forum. I accepted the challenge and am 2,500 words into the article and hope to get the final edits this week.
    If I can do it, so can you.

It would be fun to read and we would all learn. I can’t encourage you enough to contribute. Accept the challenge!

We need an definitive article on the technical aspects of bar metallurgy and mechanical characteristics. You guys want to collaborate on this?
    I could almost certainly get such an article reviewed by some of the best metallurgists in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    the definitve article about the physical properties of bars under static and dynamic loading as it relates to deadlifts.
    I'm not a fan of intellectual masturbation, and I think this topic clearly fits that characterization.
    Who would want to read such an article and what would the training implications of the information be?

There are already many articles on "equipment for strength training."
    Why would we need one on ferrous metallurgy?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I disagree, Andrew. There is a whole lot of misinformation about bar technology with respect to "tensile" and "yield" and "whip" and diameter. I'd like to publish a definitive piece on the subject that can be referenced by the industry and the consumer. I see quite a bit of value in this.

I'd read such an article. What makes a good bar good from a metal standpoint? What causes a bar to bend? If it's bent, can it be straightened? Will that make it metal weaker the same way tying and untying rope in the same place makes it weaker? Does the process of knurling a bar do anything to it structurally that matters?

I disagree, Andrew. There is a whole lot of misinformation about bar technology with respect to "tensile" and "yield" and "whip" and diameter. I'd like to publish a definitive piece on the subject that can be referenced by the industry and the consumer. I see quite a bit of value in this.
    I would love to read it.

Chemical engineer here, so I’m no help. But if you need anything distilled, holler.

Ok. I’m on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Chemical engineer here, so I’m no help. But if you need anything distilled, holler.
    Mechanical engineer 1 - chemical engineer 0

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen Lund View Post
    No booze for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Espen Lund View Post
    I have no time for this nonsense. I have squats to do!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast