starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Always a fear in the back of my mind

Default Always a fear in the back of my mind

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Probably a dumb question. So I know the guy in the video below is an idiot (injury happens at 30 sec mark), but from from your 30+ years of experience have you seen anyone with this kind of horrifying injury while squatting extremely heavy weights? I'm guessing the way to avoid something like that is to not ego lift?

Yes, 8, this kind of thing happens in gyms all over the world every day. I guess you have to ask yourself, why am I here?

As memory serves, a clip of this particular clip disaster was featured on ABC's Wide World of Sports for a while, along with the skier wipe-out "agony of defeat." I read an account of it that Jordan had been pressed to exceed his best squat ever by another lifter in his weight class by a good bit of weight in order to win.

So he stepped up to the platform and took his chances.

http://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/811da195...a-7214f29e25b6

As Doc Holliday was credited with having intoned.

When you gamble with your body, some times your ego writes checks your body can't cash. But then that's a line from another movie.

They literally say in the video “more weight than he can handle”. And did I hear them say a world record attempt?

There’s going for a small PR in your garage, and then there’s risking a lot to be a world record holder. He gambled and lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, 8, this kind of thing happens in gyms all over the world every day. I guess you have to ask yourself, why am I here?
    Would never attempting a 1 RM on the squat reduce the chances even further? Did the 8 you witnessed have any similarity to each other, a common fault that we can avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    Probably a dumb question. So I know the guy in the video below is an idiot (injury happens at 30 sec mark), but from from your 30+ years of experience have you seen anyone with this kind of horrifying injury while squatting extremely heavy weights? I'm guessing the way to avoid something like that is to not ego lift?

I dislocated my right ankle walking in the woods one night....doesn't stop me from walking in the woods at night.

the 8 you witnessed
    He’s referring to your handle, not a set of 8 incidents.

First, the guy in the video was not an idiot. He was a maniac, but these are the chances you took at the Worlds in the 1970s. Paul Jordan was an inspiration to many lifters in my time on the platform, because there are times when giant balls will get you more total than caution. I have personally seen 2 wrecks worse that this in Texas (8 is you, look at your username), both were bilateral total knees, basically just the skin holding the lower leg onto the thigh. One was stupidity, the other was the wraps. Both were not pussies.

If you are looking for an excuse to not lift heavy weights, there's nothing to worry about, because you won't do it anyway.

Good grief! do you have to post these type of videos?

starting strength coach development program

He'll be fine.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast