starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypnosis

Default Hypnosis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Can Hypnosis enhance such important dynamics as intensity, focus, consistency, concentration, mental toughness and anxiety control? Any experience with this or know of somebody who has benefited?

I think it's complete and utter bullshit. But we'll ask.

Depends. It isn't a simple yes, or no. Lifting itself is effectively self-hypnosis and has the added benefit of teaching focus and the overcoming of obstacles by making simple goals which are realised.

The problem which hypnosis can help with is irrational anxiety over going to the gym-or, stepping out of the front door where it isn't contra-indicated by underlying psychosis such as PSD which requires professional medical help.

When I was involved in therapy I had some great results with clients, but it's very selective. Some can be helped, the hypnotherapist has to spend a few sessions to calibrate before beginning the work.

"Lifting itself is effectively self-hypnosis." What in the hell does this even mean? And yes, I'll bet it is very selective.

I believe there is an archive article by Tommy Suggs regarding this topic, but admittedly it’s been several years since I’ve read it.

Train the Mind for Increased Strength | Tommy Suggs

What is the difference between hypnosis and self-hypnosis?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    "Lifting itself is effectively self-hypnosis." What in the hell does this even mean? And yes, I'll bet it is very selective.
    A relaxed state of mind open to suggestion.

Nothing particularly. Its a absolutely natural state of relaxation-you couldn't fool yourself into the fantasy of a movie if you were not prepared to relax and accept what you see. The hypnotist just helps to induce a level of trance state, but it is the client who does the work.

In the case of a movie you are in a mild trance virtually the entire time, you might pop out of it when you hear someone rattling sweets/coughing-you know that feeling between the pleasantly relaxed state of watching a good film and the sudden feeling like that akin of being woken up as if from a nice sleep.

And by the way Rip, you have a very hypnotic voice which really comes over when you read passages of your own work and in lectures. As comedians often point out, it isn't always what you say but how you say it which has the greatest impact. Pace, pause, lead.

Have a listen to Obama's speeches-masterful examples of saying fuck all, but conveying subliminal ideas.
    Martin Luther King was similar. He mastered the kinaesthetic tone -note how slow, paused and deep his voice begins and then gradually rises in pitch and pace. All good orators have this very natural means of communicating - and what they are communicating of course is information.
    Spoon full of sugar.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Rich View Post
    Can Hypnosis enhance such important dynamics as intensity, focus, consistency, concentration, mental toughness and anxiety control? Any experience with this or know of somebody who has benefited?
    You may be confusing meditation with hypnosis. That’s not really how hypnosis works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast