starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Always a fear in the back of my mind

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Brandon Lilly did a similar wipe out a few years ago. Looking at his latest instagram feed, he may not be squatting 750lbs again but he's looking fully functional.

If this is the worst injury in powerlifting history, then powerlifting is a fuckton safer than I thought.

This looks a lot like the injury Joe Ladnier talked about in his interview with you years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    Would never attempting a 1 RM on the squat reduce the chances even further? Did the 8 you witnessed have any similarity to each other, a common fault that we can avoid?
    The thing I can't wrap my head around is why the hell lifts like this aren't in power rack. Am I completely mistaken a rack would have significantly reduced an injury?

My biggest problem is Rodeo. Did you know those guys actually try to ride bulls??? You know how big a bull is? What if he falls on you? I just can't understand why this is allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    The thing I can't wrap my head around is why the hell lifts like this aren't in power rack. Am I completely mistaken a rack would have significantly reduced an injury?
    This is a legit point, I think the injury wouldn't have been as bad if there were safety pins in place in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My biggest problem is Rodeo. Did you know those guys actually try to ride bulls??? You know how big a bull is? What if he falls on you? I just can't understand why this is allowed!
    Maybe they should only let people ride bulls in power racks.

I think there is a difference. The people that ride bulls do so for the adrenaline and thrill, maybe the fame and money and not so much for any improvement in their health/well being. Most of us that lift weights just wants to be healthy and have a better quality of life, which is your goal with starting strength as you've stated in the past. You can argue Paul Jordan has big balls to attempt 761 when he failed at 755 and struggled at 694. The chances of success at that point is nonexistent while the possible consequences are catastrophic. There is little variable in powerlifting, its either you're strong enough to move the weight or you're not. In rodeo, there is a lot more variables involved, and probably a bit of luck as well.

This is a legit point, I think the injury wouldn't have been as bad if there were safety pins in place in this case.
    What if there had been safety pins, and his hand had gotten mashed between the bar and the pins? Capiche? That is a very real possibility -- even for you -- in the event of a loss of control under the bar.

I think there is a difference.
    But can you identify that which is the similarity?

starting strength coach development program
    What if there had been safety pins, and his hand had gotten mashed between the bar and the pins? Capiche? That is a very real possibility -- even for you -- in the event of a loss of control under the bar.

But can you identify that which is the similarity?
    Okay put it another way, it's pretty clear cut in Paul Jordan's case that there is no way in hell he was gonna squat 761 given the fact he failed 755 and barely made 694. The weights aren't going to get lighter because he's pumped up and screaming. With Rodeo, theres more variables at play and maybe a weak, skinny cowboy can still have a chance because of luck. My point is, yes there are similarity in both competitions, but one is pretty black and white in chances of success/fail, while the other isn't so.

But the chances of injury is much lower with safety pins, no? Else, why do we have them in the first place.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast