starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seated Press With/Without Back Support

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by StrengthBeginner221 View Post
    Again, I don't have the attachment and I would have to wait for it to arrive and have to pay for it whereas I already own the bench. It is clearly better for me to do a seated press since a) I can do that right away and b) It doesn't cost me anything extra. I was actually asking for assistance as to which of the three options was the best (the two seated or the cambered bar) and was hoping for a definitive answer but I haven't got that yet. I will be doing the seated press with the back set to the highest setting at least until such time as I end up training somewhere with higher ceilings (I only see this happening if a gym opens nearby which I doubt but I'll hold out hope).
    They are all equally shitty compared to the press. So just do the one that makes you the happiest.

That's all I'd surmised from Googling around. It's always nice to have it confirmed by an expert though, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by StrengthBeginner221 View Post
    Hello again Mr Rippetoe,

Which version of the seated press better mimics the press, with the back support as I've usually seen it (for instance in Alan Thrall's video on the OHP, he talks about the seated press causing lower back problems and demonstrates the seated press with back support and I believe he is a SSC) or without the back support where you unrack the bar as normal then simply set on the end of your bench and do the movement. I've just seen a YT video of someone doing this version of the seated press and it matched the new way you teach the press in that it had the same bounce so I thought perhaps it is a better substitute for the OHP. In my last post regarding doing the press with low ceilings, people moved me away from using a cambered bar and toward the seated version. I intended to set my incline bench at its highest setting but now I'm reconsidering.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Could you just set up a stand outside and press that way?

starting strength coach development program
    Why don't you just sit on the ground inside the rack if you must do a seated press? Why does it have to be on a chair?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12