starting strength gym

Thread: Bench press shoulder pain

Default Bench press shoulder pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m 66 and have been lifting on and off since high school. While in high school, benching on a Universal Gym, I developed left shoulder pain. Dr diagnosis was bursitis. Rest was only treatment. The pain has recurred several times, always treated with rest. About 2 years ago I started Starting Strength. Now doing a 4 day split of squats, deadlift, press, bench, cleans (sort of), and chins. Recently the left shoulder pain returned. Narrow grip did not help. Slight pain while lifting, couple hours later is when it gets bad. There are some form problems: bar is tilted down towards the right, and the left shoulder moves a bit while lifting. I don’t know if I’m aggravating an old condition, or causing a new one. I’ve decided to take a week off from all lifting, and then resume without benching, at least for now. Two questions - Should I stop benching entirely? How do I fix my form? Last successful, pain free, bench was a 205 single, followed by drop sets, at body weight of 195.

First, as repeated daily on these forums, tendonitis/joint pain does not go away with a layoff. Never does. You have to train through it. But in this case, the pain has persisted long enough that I think an actual diagnosis is in order. "Bursitis" is not a diagnosis -- it is doctor for Shoulder Pain, which you already know you have. At your age, it might be time for an MRI. You may have an osteophyte that could be removed in advance of a more serious injury like a cuff tendon tear. Stop benching until this is sorted out.