starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting the most out of crossfit

Default getting the most out of crossfit

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi-

I am a male in my mid 40s and started crossfit about a year ago because it was (and still is) the only place I can do deadlifts in the area where I live. (I also had to get in shape.) In the past year I found out on my own what I think your opinion on crossfit is: barbell training is awesome, but the workouts can be brutal and for my age too many reps reps, many times to the detriment of form.

Despite any issues, I love crossfit. I am in much better shape than I was a year ago (probably best shape ever in my life) and enjoy the small gym feel and social aspects (however silly that is).

My question: if crossfit is the only place I can do barbell training, can I do it in a way that is age appropriate and still beneficial without causing any harm? I know when my form starts to go... but can't stop halfway through a workout.

Do you have any advice? Use less weights? Don’t finish workouts? How to get the most out of crossfit?

Thanks so much-
    Lajos

If you are incapable of stopping a workout when you know your form has fallen apart, then you you cannot do the workout without the potential of causing harm. Thus, CrossFit cannot be done productively by you. I think Coach Glassman would tell you the same thing.

When I saw the title of the thread I could not wait to see how this would end. Remarkably restrained and understated, Coach.

Lajos buddy, there is a lot of history here, this Xfit stuff as opposed to strength Training. The bottom line here is the belief that strength is the most important “modality” for reasons too many to list. Get your deadlift up by focusing on disciplined programmed strength training, and you may be pleasantly surprised att what happens to your Murph or whatever times, let alone your daily natural activities.

Please for all that is holy do not get injured with bad form beacause you are doing reps against a clock.

Thanks for the advice. As I mentioned above, the only gym in my area allowing deadlifts and other barbell training is crossfit.

Would you suggest setting up a power rack in my basement, getting a barbell and plates and doing strength training on my own?

This is the standard approach to having no place to train.

Quote Originally Posted by lajos View Post
    Would you suggest setting up a power rack in my basement, getting a barbell and plates and doing strength training on my own?
    That will cost you less than a year at a crossfit gym.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Can confirm. Fully outfitted my gym with rack, bar, plates, bench and a C2 rower for the cost of 10 months of crossfit membership for my wife and I. Never looked back. Also far, far stronger in just 3 months compared to a year of crossfit. Also, probably the only place I can lift naked. I don't... but I COULD.

Why don't you if you can?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thanks for the suggestions. Found a nice set of plates on craigslist and ordered a power rack. A rower would be great, but I guess a couple steps at a time.

starting strength coach development program
    You could always talk to the owner about an open gym fee or something similar while you dave for a gym.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast