starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I being an OCD asshole about an unlevel platform

Default Am I being an OCD asshole about an unlevel platform

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark, I recently built a garage gym with a deadlifting platform. I didn't have approval from the owners (I'm renting) to use leveling concrete, so I worked with a handyman to use shims and handcrafted deck timbers to do our best to level the slight slope in our garage.

After a ton of effort and determination to have an even platform, the final layer of plywood yielded this result (see picture attached). Using a 24-inch level, the platform seems *slightly* angled upwards toward the right.

My question is, am I being an OCD asshole about this slight unevenness between the left and right foot over the course of two feet, or is this actually something I need to correct for lifting heavy in the future?

Thanks.

7D4EF9ED-B66A-45AC-BE9D-82CF672123C3.jpg

The biggest problem with a slightly un-level floor is the need to chase the deadlift around. If this doesn't bother you, you're fine.

I'm not sure if most know this, but when measuring level always turn the level 180 degrees to make sure you get the same reading each way. Many cheaper levels are "out" so if you find yourself chasing the bubble this may be why.

Precision levels have an adjustment for ensuring they read the same both ways, but with a ordinary level you have to split the difference each way if it is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The biggest problem with a slightly un-level floor is the need to chase the deadlift around. If this doesn't bother you, you're fine.
    Just get some of those really popular 12-sided plates. Problem solved.

Thanks Mark.

I didn't realize this @skid, thanks for letting me know.

My garage has a slope (like everyone other garage out there). I just made sure to orient the rack so that I was facing uphill when I squat. My lifting shoes are Adipowers and have a full 3/4" heel rise. The slope makes the heel a 5/8" rise instead. The other option would have been to determine which of my legs is slightly longer and position the rack so that the shorter leg is uphill lol. Seriously though it hasn't presented a problem. The slope does cause the bar to roll a little during deadlift. I bought a couple deadwedges to use as chocks to keep it still and help with loading the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    Just get some of those really popular 12-sided plates. Problem solved.
    While I know you are kidding, FYI for everyone else. The multisided plates are very dangerous for deadlifting. When you set the bar back down on the floor, one side can kick. If it hits your shin, it hurts but you'll survive (your friends will love it). If it kicks away, it twists your entire body, potentially resulting in a real injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    While I know you are kidding, FYI for everyone else. The multisided plates are very dangerous for deadlifting. When you set the bar back down on the floor, one side can kick. If it hits your shin, it hurts but you'll survive (your friends will love it). If it kicks away, it twists your entire body, potentially resulting in a real injury.
    I fully acknowledge this will sound like a shitty comment, but get enough weight on the bar and it stops moving around so much. Those plates are still a pain in the arse because you cant adjust the bar very well in the starting position between each rep so you end up having to reset your feet to where the bar is. But once you get to 405 there are enough plates on either side that the unevenness tends to even itself out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I'm not sure if most know this, but when measuring level always turn the level 180 degrees to make sure you get the same reading each way. Many cheaper levels are "out" so if you find yourself chasing the bubble this may be why.

Precision levels have an adjustment for ensuring they read the same both ways, but with a ordinary level you have to split the difference each way if it is out.
    this ^. and how long of level are you using?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast