starting strength gym

Thread: Video: Arizona Q&A: Motivation

Even at the point where someone expresses interest in strength training and asks me about it I feel as though I'm 'pissing up a rope' here too.
    When the questions start rolling, it's easy to explain NLP and the 'why' behind everything. But it's like nothing sticks.
    I think it's just odd. You tell someone the exact way to add 120 pounds to a squat in 2 months (because they asked), they agree with you, then next week they're back to doing Men's Health Magazine workout #359320 instead.

I figure there's nothing I can do about it anyway. I'll just keep lifting quietly in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by KaimiK View Post
    I figure there's nothing I can do about it anyway. I'll just keep lifting quietly in the corner.
    I think the trick has been said before in a seminar video. “Be the strongest guy in the room”

In my case I had a dude over 6’ that rep’d 315 like my 250, but when I added 100lbs to my 3x5 in 2 months he took notice. After that I told him what to do, he did it and repped 405x5x3 in a month and a half.

That particular situation is pretty unique in my opinion as most people don’t seem to pay that much attention, but it did happen and now anytime this guy talks about his numbers he points people my way. No luck so far getting people to actually come talk to me though...

Even at the point where someone expresses interest in strength training and asks me about it I feel as though I'm 'pissing up a rope' here too.
    When the questions start rolling, it's easy to explain NLP and the 'why' behind everything. But it's like nothing sticks.
    I think it's just odd. You tell someone the exact way to add 120 pounds to a squat in 2 months (because they asked), they agree with you, then next week they're back to doing Men's Health Magazine workout #359320 instead.

Truth is that the idea of adding 120 lb to a squat in 2 months is more desirable than the reality of completing such a task. Once most people are faced with the reality, they quickly decide whether they truly want it or not. Same goes with anything that requires substantial effort.

Why do you insist on convincing other people that Starting strength is the right way? I say if others want to do an inferior program then let them. They will only get weaker while you get stronger and then you will have an advantage when it comes to strength.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry1 View Post
    Why do you insist on convincing other people that Starting strength is the right way? I say if others want to do an inferior program then let them. They will only get weaker while you get stronger and then you will have an advantage when it comes to strength.
    I never really try to convince people that starting strength is the right way, just answer their questions about what I do and why. I also enjoy a bit of conversation anyways. But I agree, let people do what they want to do.
    Maybe my only bit of frustration is that I would like to see more people getting into the whole strength training thing, because then I would have more people to enjoy it with.