starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow Injury Recovery

Question Elbow Injury Recovery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    About two years ago I fractured my radial head in my elbow. Since then I have rehabbed said elbow with resistance bands and when that was done I got back to working out (incorrectly) off and on. I notice that my left arm that was injured is still not near as strong as my right and I feel pretty imbalanced. My question to you and the forum members is can I get my left arm balanced with my right in terms of strength by doing the starting strength program with barbells or will that require some dumbbell lifts?

Just bought your book a couple weeks ago (blue one) and I just finished the squat chapter. I wish I knew of this book years ago. I am 25 now but dammit this would have been amazing to have at 18 or younger.

Thanks

What do you plan to do with the dumbbell, and what will it weigh?

My thoughts were to do the bench and press with dumbbells to balance out strength in each arm since those are only lifts that I notice the imbalance.

But like I said I have finished the squat portion of the book, I may have not gotten to portion of book that explains this.

As far as weight of DB's go I guess would depend on my form with weaker arm.

A little help here?

Quote Originally Posted by CPSnider93 View Post
    My thoughts were to do the bench and press with dumbbells to balance out strength in each arm since those are only lifts that I notice the imbalance.
    Unilateral work doesn't fix imbalances, deloading to a manageable, heavy weight that you can do with perfect form (i.e. symmetrically) and progressively overloading does.

It's in the book somewhere, for sure. Probably next to the part where Rip goes "300 minutes?!" in response to a crossfitter on ESPN after he made that ludicrous statement. Or somewhere else maybe.