starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Italian translation of Starting Strength?

Default Italian translation of Starting Strength?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello. I've been putting into practice the methods used in the book. I realized there aren't many good manuals on barbell training in Italy. Are you planning on any future translation of Starting Strength into Italian? What are the possible reasons for not translating it? Thank you in advance.

We do not do translations. No qualified Italian publisher has contracted with us under acceptable terms for the license to translate the book. The Italian language market is small. I have no idea how many people who speak it are in the barbell training market. I hope this satisfies your curiosity.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

I was surprised how well most Italians spoke English when I was there last year, so even if someone was interested in Starting Strength (and I assume those people are of above average intellect) they probably have enough English comprehension to understand the basic concepts of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by shabu View Post
    I was surprised how well most Italians spoke English when I was there last year, so even if someone was interested in Starting Strength (and I assume those people are of above average intellect) they probably have enough English comprehension to understand the basic concepts of the book.
    Depends on where you go.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Depends on where you go.
    To be fair, everyone in the northern part of Belgium speaks English, too, up until they sign up for a bachelor in English. Then hardly any of them speak English.

Really, the only valid reason there isn't a X-language version yet is, as Rip says, that no publisher in that language has contacted Rip yet. If you only sell 50k units in X-language, that's still a big deal in the long run. Non-fiction translates better than fiction, and English language comprehension isn't going to be good enough everywhere for non-natives to approach the material sensibly. But it's not Rip's job to learn other languages and get to work. Moreover, native speakers already barely understand or care about the Starting Strength method, so it's hard to expect people in Friesland to suddenly get all warm and fuzzy inside when they hear Rip utter the words "hip drahve".

I mean, shit, I'd translate it to Dutch if I could get it published. But I probably couldn't. Maybe. Not yet, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    To be fair, everyone in the northern part of Belgium speaks English, too, up until they sign up for a bachelor in English. Then hardly any of them speak English.
    Yeah, but that's attributable to the fact that the Vlaanderen actually recognize that being international isn't a bad thing, whereas the Walloons just wish they were French. At least, that's been my experience.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

How could somebody wish he was French?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How could somebody wish he was French?
    Most French aren't so bad. FRANCE, on the other hand, and its rules and politics are not great, but spending time with the French people is (generally) nice.

People throughout the entire world are all kind of the same when you just spend time with them and don't talk about politics or systems of belief. But even when that happens, the majority of people are reasonable how their own belief systems. So basically the opposite of Facebook.

Humour, Andrew.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Yeah, but that's attributable to the fact that the Vlaanderen actually recognize that being international isn't a bad thing, whereas the Walloons just wish they were French. At least, that's been my experience.
    It's quite a bit weirder than that. Walloons may wish to be French, but don't wish to be called French at all. That said, I barely interact with Walloons so I couldn't tell you much about them. Teaching Dutch in the south is not a priority, though. We once had a Walloon PM who learnt Dutch only after taking office. Meanwhile, most--if not all--of the Flemish politicians speak, or at least understand, French. Save for maybe the Flemish nationalists, but even they probably know more French than Walloons know Dutch. We're dicks to them, though. At school, at a young age, we learn French, but not the Walloon variant. We barely even learn the differences between the two. I think if the point was to foster good relationships between the two hemispheres, we would learn more about each other than we actually do. But I'm probably just a dumb hick Flandrian for thinking that.

I don't know if nous, les belges, are really any more international than any other nation's people. I think if you went to Germany, people there would speak English to a reasonable degree (especially younger people, younger than 40s, thereabouts). Chalk it up to the world living in an American global society. Lots of movies, rockstars, McDonald's to go around. Lots of English words have entered into the Dutch language relatively unnoticed; just yesterday, a professor of mine began a sentence with the word "basically" and no one in the auditorium scoffed or laughed or called him on it. He could've used the adverbial "in essentie" (in essence, essentially), "kort door de bocht" (in short, basically), or a host of others, but he didn't, and no one minded.

It's funny you use the word "international" in light of recent news of our government debating whether or not we want to/are going to sign the UN's pact on immigration. Flanders also has a mixed history of wanting to be international, hence Flemish nationalists, "flaminganten" in our own word: people who think Flanders should be a nation on its own because we're so great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast