starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benching without spotters

Default Benching without spotters

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi

I'm coming to the point where my bench press is about to hit the limit and although it's not at a weight where my arms will snap and drop the bar on myself, eventually I will be unable to finish my sets. The issue is I have no spotter, so if I do get stuck I'll have to roll the bar down me, which would be unfortunate, painful and a touch embarrassing, do you think I should switch to dumbells which I could just drop to the floor if I get stuck, but is harder to get in position to bench press?

Thanks for any reply

Chris

You can avoid being stuck on the bench by learning how to gauge whether or not your next rep will go. This requires that you be conservative but observant. BUT, if you train by yourself and there is the slightest danger that you could get stuck, NEVER COLLAR THE BAR. This way you can always dump one side off and get it off of you before the darkness closes in for the last time. This is very important: the bench press is where virtually all of the fatalities associated with weight room activity occur, usually guys training alone that get a crush injury or suffocation. So,TAKE THE COLLARS OFF THE BAR IF THERE'S ANY DANGER AT ALL OF GETTING STUCK UNDER THE BENCH PRESS.

Another option is something I did years ago when training by myself. I would bench in the squat rack with the safety bars set at a point that was just below my chest, but just above my abdomen. That way, if I got stuck, I could just roll it off my chest onto the safety bars. Now, this might not work for some body types. But it offers another option for those who must bench solo.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisRussellDC View Post
    Another option is something I did years ago when training by myself. I would bench in the squat rack with the safety bars set at a point that was just below my chest, but just above my abdomen. That way, if I got stuck, I could just roll it off my chest onto the safety bars. Now, this might not work for some body types. But it offers another option for those who must bench solo.
    +1

The bench I use exclusively among the dozen or so at my gym has a rack built into it! These holes are closer together than on the typical power rack, so it works well. The bars are low enough so that they don't interfere with a light touch of the chest. If I fail, I can release the arch in my back and the bar will rest gently on the pins until I either snake my way out or wait for some kind soul to assist me.

If theres a kind soul to pick the bar oof your chest, why can't you get a spot?

I just wanted to echo Coach Rip's statement and add that a few years ago a high school kid in my hometown died after trying to roll the bar down himself. He complained that night of his stomach hurting, and his family took him to the hospital where he died of internal injuries.

Yes, it happens. Rotten deal. Don't collar the bar if you're benching alone.

One thing you may try is collaring one side only. That way you can dump the plates on that side and tip the bar off to the other, without the double seesaw of having to pile the weight off both sides.

If you do that and dump the plates, what do you suppose the collared side will do, and what will that do to the bar? And your wall/floor/aquarium?

starting strength coach development program
    Hit the floor. Who benches in their aquarium? Except the guy on YouTube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast