starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Shoes vs Standing Press Shoes Squat Shoes

Default Deadlift Shoes vs Standing Press Shoes Squat Shoes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Mark:

I read your book and have reviewing several videos and articles on your website. Thank you very much for helping me attain so much strength with barbells this year!!

I would like to ask about what shoes I should be using for each of the three big lifts: squats, deadlifts, and OHPs.

For squats, I read your recommendation for weightlifting shoes with heels. I purchased Adidas Leistung 16 II Boa Shoes because the 1-inch heels help me as a tall person - 6'4''

But what about deadlifts and presses? For deadlifts, is 1 inch too much? Or should I go for flat shoes? Anything I need to consider as a tall person? I have the same questions for presses as well. Why would you recommend one type of shoe over the other? Do you recommend or discourage Chuck’s?

Merry Christmas, Mark!

Do all of your standing barbell exercises in your WL shoes.

Thank you, Mark! Are one-inch heels too high for Deadlifts and OHP? Do you have an article explaining the mechanical advantages of weightlifting shoes with a heel?

Depends on your anthropometry. People with short femurs and long tibias benefit from a taller heel. Most people do better with 3/4" or shorter. Heels are discussed in the blue book.