starting strength gym

Thread: Injured Hand at Work. Now What?

Default Injured Hand at Work. Now What?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been doing the Starting Strength program since mid October and I love it! I have always kinda lifted weights since high school but now I actually look forward to getting up early and getting under the bar. That is until last Friday at work I dislocated 3 fingers and broke 1 on my left hand. I have a casted club for a hand now and have no choice but to suspend the program. But by no means does that mean I will stop going to the gym all together. I was told it will be a 12 week recovery process with some physical therapy so I do expect to loose my progress. What exercises should I do that wont sacrifice my form and do not involve using the hands? I have an idea of the exercises I can do like squats with a machine where the pads are on the shoulders and lower back extensions. Im just curious to see what you guys say. Thanks.

Steve in NC

Sounds like the Safety Squat Bar is your only option. What did you do to your hand?

Left hand: dislocations at middle knuckles on pointer, middle and ring fingers and 2 fractures on ring finger. extension attached to drive end of a pneumatic nut runner grabbed the fabric of the glove and twisted bending my fingers backwards. hand is in a cast and probably will be for a while. I have never seen the safety squat bar before and I wish my gym had one.

Reading about that really makes my butthole draw up. You get to learn how to squat with one hand. We've seen it done.

HAHAHA. well i guess i could just place my left arm on top of the bar and use the right hand as directed.