starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I run fast through strength training?

Question Can I run fast through strength training?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi mark, I have some question.

I failed to become a teacher because of my bad head. So I am preparing for the police exam these days because there is no place where the school will hire me.

The Physical fitness test items are as follows. Push up, Sit up, Hand gripper, 1000m sprint, 100m sprint. Unfortunately, there is no squat, DL, bench press, etc.... and, I'm not good at running right now.

So I'm thinking about whether I should change my training course. What do you think about this tests? Can I run fast through strength training? If it works, I'm just going to add a bit of running to my existing training.

If not, is there any special training you recommend?

P.s. I am not sure if my question will be delivered well because I am not good at English.

Practice the sprints 2x/week for 4 weeks before the test. Do not try to sprint the 1000m. This will be apparent when you practice it. You will pass easily. Your English is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Practice the sprints 2x/week for 4 weeks before the test. Do not try to sprint the 1000m. This will be apparent when you practice it. You will pass easily. Your English is fine.
    Out of curiosity; if one were to decide to add intervals/sprints to their routine permanently, (for whatever reason they decided to do so), would you recommend that the program be adjusted at all to accomodate the sprints (i.e. some less squatting), or to just add the sprinting on top of the program as is, and eat more to compensate?

Depends on level of training advancement. No better way to kill novice progress than adding conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Hanjin View Post
    I failed to become a teacher because of my bad head. So I am preparing for the police exam these days because there is no place where the school will hire me.
    I was wondering what kind of “bad head” issue would prevent you from being a teacher but wouldn’t be a problem for going into law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    I was wondering what kind of “bad head” issue would prevent you from being a teacher but wouldn’t be a problem for going into law enforcement.
    Unemployment problem is serious here. In Korea, a teacher is a very popular job. Only the top 10 percent of graduates of College of Education become public teachers.
    Thesedays I regret leaving the army without being promoted to staff sergeant.

Become a barbell strength coach. There is work.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    This is surely self-evident in America these days.

I'd love to, but I started too late(started at 25 year old). And if I don't have a job right now, my livelihood is in danger. Also, I have to do some grip training because of the test, but I don't have the good training course. Rip, do you have any advice on this field? Shit hand gripper.

starting strength coach development program
    How to you test the requirement that the SSC have completed the novice progression on his own? I have lately been fantasizing about becoming one in the future after I get through my LP, but i was wondering how i would actually know when that is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast