starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delay the program?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It sounds like he may not fully understand the connection between getting stronger like he wants to and eating more. Being strong for football sounds nice, gaining weight to do that might not fit with his image of himself right now. Flashing back to my 14 year old self, pretty sure I would have equated gaining weight and possibly getting "fatter" while getting stronger with the risk of less attention from love interests. Also part of that flashback would include knowing sooooo much more than my parents about pretty much everything, so you may have to wait for him to come to this conclusion himself.

For context on the running, when I did my first kick at the LP can, I went from 165-170ish lbs to 200 lbs in 4 months while running that much EVERYDAY (I live close to work and refuse to pay oodles of money for either transit or parking). This is as a mid-30 year old. For a kid his age that should be nothing, I say his stalls are the result of a light fork rather than running shoes.

I ran while I was training in my 20s. Quite a bit. I would have been a better lifter had I not done so, and had I gone up to 242. He can compensate for the running with his fork. Good luck with that.

High school in the U.S. is such a waste of time. I have seen advanced European exchange students fail low level math classes because they refused to do the bogus work. They at least knew to stand up for themselves when they were asked to do things that were ridiculous.

You can argue the socialization aspect is important, but does placing young adults in a daycare really help with socialization? I would argue most kids do not begin to learn socialization skills until after they have left high school.

If your kid is in the top 25%, he should be ready for college level work immediately. If he is in the 50%-75% range, he would be ready for university with only a small amount of work. It may be wise to be more loosely associated with a high school. Full time public U.S. high school is detrimental to the development of any person. Allow him some independence.

Quote Originally Posted by 凤凰来仪 View Post
    You can argue the socialization aspect is important, but does placing young adults in a daycare really help with socialization? I would argue most kids do not begin to learn socialization skills until after they have left high school.
    And the new emphasis on "bullying" is making a horrible joke out of the socialization myth. If you do not learn how to deal with the tougher aspects of socialization, what purpose has it served?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And the new emphasis on "bullying" is making a horrible joke out of the socialization myth. If you do not learn how to deal with the tougher aspects of socialization, what purpose has it served?
    Yeah, but that comes naturally. You don't need to manufacture or reinforce conflicting environments. Misunderstands have a nice way of doing that organically.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In my experience, anti-bullying programs are worse than useless. Bullies are usually miserable kids, and school conditions just make them more miserable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12