starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor said i cant lift anymore.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It's all about getting the right person. Good people here: Strength Con II - Injuries and Rehab

I have went to another doctor. He said the x-ray is inconclusive and the narrowed disk is minor and not the cause. After examination he said it's inflammation of the joint in the lower back ( some kind of itis but I forgot what he said ) ... Gave me muscle relaxant and anti inflammatory . Also couple of back stretches where u lay down and lift your torso up.. and one where u lift your knee where your chest.

The pain has gone 50 percent in 3 days. I would like to know what this is.. will this become chronic and how to avoid it.

Sacroiliitis or something

If its the sacroiliacal joint (pain in the region just below your SIPS ) heat and stretches usually help.
    What I recommend (and also apply to my self) is kinesiotape. Instructions can be found on youtube. It often helps wonders.

If the pain is in the region above your sips closer to your spine the culprit probably is a facet joint.

In both these cases is it the beginning of something chronic? When can I start working out ? What exercises to leave and what to add. Am I fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by threeonethree View Post
    I have went to another doctor. He said the x-ray is inconclusive and the narrowed disk is minor and not the cause. After examination he said it's inflammation of the joint in the lower back ( some kind of itis but I forgot what he said ) ... Gave me muscle relaxant and anti inflammatory . Also couple of back stretches where u lay down and lift your torso up.. and one where u lift your knee where your chest.

The pain has gone 50 percent in 3 days. I would like to know what this is.. will this become chronic and how to avoid it.
    Step one: get a coach (probably cheaper than all these doctors visits).

Step two: deadlift.

My dad was having low back pain he says for the first time in his life. I was over there for the holidays. He has an exercise routine that he's done for probably the last 30 years, I've been trying to nudge him into doing the lifts, but he's not been convinced. He does crunches and roman chairs where you lie facedown hinged over the device at the waist and lift your torso up to parallel. He has credited these with being pain free for a long time, but now he has back pain, so...

Truth is, if you are constantly flexing and extending the lower back you are probably creating inflammation. And if it's already inflamed it will get worse.

So, I went through the deadlift with him. We had done it before, but he keeps not doing it. We didn't work up to much weight really, which is fine. Just add 5 lbs. next time. It'll get heavy soon enough.

Later he said that his back pain was gone for the first time in weeks. That's all it took. Doing a proper deadlift where the low back is placed in isometric contraction like it's designed to be. Of course your experience will vary. But this was also my experience. Just make sure you're getting the form right. Whether he keeps deadlifting or not, I don't know. We'll have to see. He's a stubborn fucker.

So the pain has healed 70 percent in 4 days.. when can I lift again.. and what can I do to make sure it doesn't come back. I don't want it to become chronic.

Not a doctor here. And not advice, just an example.

I drowned my cervical radiculopathy in ibuprofen for a month or more and am healed. 3200 mg / day for 30+ days. 50 y.o., 5’ 7”, 200 lbs. No obvious side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by threeonethree View Post
    So the pain has healed 70 percent in 4 days.. when can I lift again.. and what can I do to make sure it doesn't come back. I don't want it to become chronic.
    If you can lift with proper form without the pain becoming worse, then start now. You will probably need a deload, pay extra special attention to form.

As far as how to make sure it doesn't come back, you have to figure out how it started and then don't do that anymore. For most people with non-structural back pain, the root cause it not deadlifting. So make sure you never do that again.

(You may have twisted your torso under a load at some point, so obviously, don't do that.)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post

Truth is, if you are constantly flexing and extending the lower back you are probably creating inflammation. And if it's already inflamed it will get worse.
    Not to mention, this is the known mechanism of injury for the development of spondylolisthesis.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast