starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max Blochowiak: Herculean Hypertrophy and Milo's Mass, part 1 & 2

Default Max Blochowiak: Herculean Hypertrophy and Milo's Mass, part 1 & 2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

This will help. Very good article. I had to digest it in about 4 bites of 15 minutes each, just to make sure I was absorbing what I was supposed to. Thanks!

I am posting here to give this a bump. This is a very good article. I hope more people take the time to read and discuss it. I am looking forward to the second installment.

One question. The way I organized my thoughts on strength training does not align with this sentence from the article:
    Strength training, and particularly bodybuilding, is a game of work capacity.
    Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you're trying to say here. My understanding is that work capacity is a side effect of training for strength or for looks, not a factor that can be limiting or one that should get this much attention.

Work = Force x Distance. In our case, work capacity would be the ability to move a specific resistance through some exercise's range of motion for some number of working reps. We also want to be able to recover from this workload and continue to go about our day, get out of bed the next few mornings, and be able to train within 24-48 hours after this specific workload. What I see from all the biggest men who've ever lived is a colossal ability to produce force and tolerate huge workloads. So, work capacity is certainly a byproduct of increased force production, but we also need to make specific improvements in what we might call maximum tolerable volume, or maximum recoverable volume. I think Mike Israetel talks about this a lot, but the idea is much older than him.

With all variables being equal, let's say with two twins who've done every single workout together and lift the exact same weight, the one who decides to focus on building his ability to tolerate and adequately recover from more working sets will probably end up with bigger muscles than the one who focuses solely on building his 1RM.

So, for people who are relatively new or simply want to get strong, this is all pointless semantics. For folks who want greatbiggigantic muscles, work capacity, or building the body's ability to tolerate lots of volume at moderate-high intensities, should be their biggest focus. I believe that's the main point of the article, but I'll check with my ghostwriter and update this if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Blochowiak View Post
    ...For folks who want great big gigantic muscles, work capacity, or building the body's ability to tolerate lots of volume at moderate-high intensities, should be their biggest focus
    Any thoughts on how this applies to us BBRx aged folks who are volume sensitive, intensity dependent?

I know Coach Andy has some power builder type programs available. Wondering how they line up with this info.
    A quote from him in his Programming forum a while back:
    "The older you get, the less use the high rep BB stuff is for you".

Thanks

Couldn't agree more about the hotness of said actress in this article. That was important and needed to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by k_dean_curtis View Post
    Any thoughts on how this applies to us BBRx aged folks who are volume sensitive, intensity dependent?
    Everybody has to go through the same process of testing how much they can or cannot handle wrt volume/intensity/flogging/etc. There aren't any universal guidelines that will tell k_dean_curtis of Dallas what he can and cannot do. Examine your weekly working sets for your current blocks and make minor adjustments from there. Stick with them for a couple weaks and call me in the morning.

I agree that high-rep BB stuff is less useful. But, as I show in the Repetition Range section of the article, I don't believe it's terribly useful for any demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee F. Stewart View Post
    Couldn't agree more about the hotness of said actress in this article. That was important and needed to be said.
    Thank you, Lee. It's the end of the world as we know it, and I do not feel fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Now I’m feeling pretty sick right now so I might have missed it, but were there any studies looking at women specifically?

Is it safe to assume these principles would apply to women, just with less impact? I would assume the more male you are the better these guidelines would work, but that women would reap benefits as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast