starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squatting more than Dead Lift

Default Squatting more than Dead Lift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Per the book and most other forums etc it looks like most people seem to be able to DL more than they squat.

I'm at week 4 of the SS program. At this point, I'm confortably squatting 75KG. (Did 75Kg x 5 x 3 this am).
    DL stalled at 75x2. Had to go back to 70Kg to do a 70x5.

I'm thinking of changing over to powercleans/DLs now - even though the DL is not way ahead of the squats. Is that wise? Or should I try to keep pushing on DLs until they are actually ahead of the squats?

Different body types? Or may I be doing something wrong?
    I did warm up heavy today - probably a mistake.

Squat:
    empty bar x 40
    50Kg x 5
    50x5
    60x5
    75x5x3

Overhead Press
    Empty Bar x 10
    30x5
    35x5
    41x5x3

DL:
    Empty x 10
    40x5
    70x2
    75x2
    70x5

Male, 43 years old - 228 pounds, 5' 7". So yeah - I do need to lose something like 22pounds of body fat, measured 45" waist, but somehow wear 40" pants.
    Physique: I guess well built legs, weak back.

I did the starting strength program around 5 years ago and stopped lifting after that. Iit was kind of the same story back then. I was squatting 90Kg, but deadlifting around the same amount. Max DL ever was 100Kg (x1). Max squat ever probably 92Kg. (This was 5 years ago).

It is not possible that a male human being age 43 at 228 and 5'7" who has done the program has these numbers at week 4. You have not done the program, or you are not a male, or you are not human.

And that’s why we love you. :-)

QQ - numbers too high? Too low?

I started looking at the numbers, and realized I have not been doing the program. Or only partially. And not yet 4 weeks.

Started with CrossFit Cr@p 3-4 months ago. It’s just a blur of randomness. Injury you waiting to happen.

I quit, and ordered a rack, barbell, weights and built a home gym.

Only issue / stuff started coming in piecemeal over the Christmas break.

First, I just had bars and weights. (Bumper).

So I did push presses with 40Kg. Front squats with 40Kg. And power cleans with 20Kg. For a week or so.

And that’s all.

Then the rack showed up.

Training logs show my first earnest training on the 1st of January. (Hmm - looks like I lied - that’s just 3 weeks).

Started doing squats, presses / I only see one set of DL a week. (not sure why).

My bench just came in this week. (The guys making the SS Bench had a delay).

OK - so looks like I made a mess of the program.

How do I restart?

I’m thinking of keeping progress going up in squats, doing a reset of DL at 60KG. Bench should catch up soon - I should be able to get back to 50Kg in a week or so...

Thoughts?
    Or do I research everything and start at some lower weight all around?

FWIW, here's my training log - looks like it's not as bad as I made out. All weights are in KGs:

Diary.jpg

What is your question?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is your question?
    I guess the question is - is it 'normal' that my Squat seems to be progressing faster than the DL? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or maybe it's ok - different body types and all.

Looking at Andy Baker's book (barbell training over 40) - my numbers compared to the ones in his book are just totally off. My press is at week 8, deadlift at week 2 and squat is at week 6. I'm at week 4 of my training. And - mostly feel lightheaded all day on the days I dead lift - hence doing it just 2x week.

I did 75Kgx5x3 squat today. No problems at all - possibly could've gone heavier. Couldn't do more than 2 rep of 75Kg dead lift. Just some pain at the bottom area of my back - did not dare to push through it. Maybe form issues - Seem to be taking too much pressure on the bottom of the spine (above tail bone area). I guess I'll just keep on the program for another couple of months and see what happens... - I'll try posting some videos on the other part of the forum.
    I just finished off with 70x5.

Anyway - I look forward to meeting you in person - if you ever make it to the Pacific NorthWest.

I met Andrew Jackson several years ago - used to train at the same gym he used to frequent in Redmond, WA.

And since I have your attention - thanks a lot for all the good work. Much appreciated. (Didn't really expect any response from you, tbh). :-)

Quote Originally Posted by M@ver1ck View Post
    I guess the question is - is it 'normal' that my Squat seems to be progressing faster than the DL?
    Almost always, if it is above parallel. Video?

Just jumping in here - I had this problem once a long time ago (although not at this weight). Are you using chalk and the hook grip?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    Just jumping in here - I had this problem once a long time ago (although not at this weight). Are you using chalk and the hook grip?
    Not using chalk, and not hook grip. Having said that, I don't feel the bar slipping from my hand - I am holding on tight. That might become a problem at higher weights..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Almost always, if it is above parallel. Video?
    Yeah, it's below parallel all right.

I created a play list for you:
    YouTube

Squat at 50Kg. Noticed that my knees go forward a little. Tried to correct that in subsequent videos.
    Squats at 70Kgx5x2: Could use more hip drive, but didn't really feel too much effort.
    Squats at 75Kg: Getting slower. This was my working set yesterday.

DeadLift: 50Kg: Already more tentative than with the squats.
    Deadlift: 70Kg: Pull#1 FAILED. Felt too much pressure on the lower back, and did not want to push through.
    Deadlift: 70Kg: More pulls. Did resets and did the best I could. Success.

Still - Not sure I want to do 75Kg on DL.

Any tips appreciated.

I did edit them/trim them so there's not much wasted space.

Thanks!

Yeah, it's below parallel. And that's about all.

Learning to Squat | The Starting Strength Method

As for your deadlift, you seem to be afraid of it, even at 50k. Why?

starting strength coach development program
    A few things -
    I actually am afraid to hurt my back.
    I look extra tentative in the video - since I was trying to get my form right.

Looks like I’ll have to sign up for the Denver, CO seminar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast