starting strength gym

Thread: rotator cuff tear

Default rotator cuff tear

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So i'm going to try this again, even though i know this a repetitive inquiry. I'm hoping because I'm a lot younger than the people that get this injury, that'll it get a more specific answer.

I am 25 years old and i am 6'7". I weigh in about 265 (not muscular). I heard about your program about 2 years ago, and followed it. I fell into the usual problems with squat form. looking at it now, i had the bar way too low, and was extending my shoulders to keep in place, as opposed to keeping my back tight and raising the bar by about an inch. Anyways, i had the bar too low, lacked flexibility, and had my shoulder click every time i went into the low bar position. in the middle of a workout, after squats (which was rather uncomfortable but not painful) and my warm up set, i went to do my working set for bench and had elbow pain that made it feel like it was on fire. After a few hours the pain died down, but every time after that if i raised my arms overhead, the right one would hurt at the very top of flexing my shoulders.

Eventually i got an xray (which was unremarkable) got referred to physical therapy (15 different exercises prescribed) and told i had weak shoulder stabilizers (which i don't disagree with, but i don't think was the proper diagnosis), did the pt for four weeks, and after that stopped going, and tried to work on stretching. That made it worse, went to my primary care provider, who told me to just not lift heavy things above my head if they hurt. Well i'm 25 years young, and new that doctor was full of shit, and continued to try and lift. I laid of of the press for a while, but i tried to work on my "stabilizer" muscles with isolation and pulling exercises. nothing. requested a different doctor, got a referral to a chiropractor, and talked to the new doctor about and mri. Agreed to try the chiropractor first, and if it wasn't helpful we would do the mri. Finally got an MRI, and these are the findings. "7mm aritcular surface tear lateral anterior supraspinatus. Intrarticular derangment as detailed."

Now my primary care offered a steroid shot, but the problem is i don't have any pain until i raise my arms to the top. otherwise its fine. From what i've read, 25 years old is pretty young for shoulder surgery. I completely agree i should get a coach for form, because that would have prevented this issue. But i'm not content with the idea that i should never lift again. What should i do?

Post the radiology report conclusions, and be more careful with your typing. All of them. The whole thing.

Roger that.

The first radiology report from my xray on December 12th, 2017
    Report:
    Three-view right shoulder
    History: Pain
    Findings: The bones articulate normally, are of unremarkable
    configuration, and reveal no significant corticomedullary
    structural or attenuation abnormalities for patient's age; the
    soft tissues are unremarkable.
    Impression:
    No evidence for significant pathology.

The report from the MRI on January 16th, 2019
    Report:
    MRI right shoulder, 5 sequence
    History: "pain with abduction, tried PT, NSAIDS, chiropracter"
    Findings:
    1. 7 mm articular surface tear lateral anterior supraspinatus.
    Impression:
    Intra-articular derangement as detailed

Yeah. 1.7 =/= 7. I think you are pressing incorrectly. Video?

And now i'm realizing I read the report and your comment wrong. It was a 1.7mm tear. My new question is; is this something to worry about? Or should i correct my form, and keep lifting? If so i'll post in a different thread with more videos. Thank you for your time, my apologies for the confusion.