starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Are you shitting me? I can buy coffee online at $4.50/lb and have it actually be good? How is it generally accepted that people buy shitty $15 bags of 2lb from walmart?
    People buy fucking pre-made pancakes at Walmart.

Are you shitting me? I can buy coffee online at $4.50/lb and have it actually be good? How is it generally accepted that people buy shitty $15 bags of 2lb from walmart?
    The Sweet Maria's green bean selection offers a staggering value for a high quality varietal (if you were to purchase the bean roasted, it would run you 15.00 to 20.00 an lb at any knowledgeable coffee roaster, the rarer beans probably in the 30.00 to 40.00 range). You do have to invest in a roaster, but that probably pays itself back in 3 months. I'd definitely spring for the Behmor or Gene, but a lot of people start off with the SR500, but the quantity you can roast at a given time, and the amount of control over the roast is a bit to be desired. And if you go for the SR500, just purchase the airpopper or stovetop popper, cause all the SR500 provides is a circuit board timer (i.e. its a glorified airpopper). And roast with the windows open. Better yet, do it in the garage with the door open. Some beans smell pretty bad as they transition from green to goodness.

Yes, roasting coffee is a smoke-producing business. You have to find a way to do it outside, or you have to use a good vented hood with a fan that vents outside. But if you can do this, coffee enters a new dimension of fun.

Adjust for water content loss if beans are unroasted:

~40% water content loss

= .6roastedlb /1unroasted lb

=$4.50/ULB / .6RLB/1ULB

= $7.50/LB roasted

Walmart = $15/2lb

=$7.50/lb roasted

However, Walmart is still probably much lower quality.

I am ready. My hood can almost lift food off the frying pan. The installer was going to install a flexible 4” duct (like a dryer), but I had him use the recommended solid 7”. Deep inside I knew it was very important. Vindicated by coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by 凤凰来仪 View Post
    Adjust for water content loss if beans are unroasted:

~40% water content loss

= .6roastedlb /1unroasted lb

=$4.50/ULB / .6RLB/1ULB

= $7.50/LB roasted

Walmart = $15/2lb

=$7.50/lb roasted

However, Walmart is still probably much lower quality.
    Absolutely true. The cost is not the primary reason to roast your own coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Absolutely true. The cost is not the primary reason to roast your own coffee.
    Right, but if someone told me "You could have great coffee for $50/lb or acceptable coffee for $7/lb" I'd probably go with the acceptable coffee.
    However, the price points are so close, it's not even up for discussion if one is willing to put the initial cost and time in.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

This thread has triggered me doing more research into coffee. I have been buying 1 lb of pre-ground coffee from shops and making a cup of french press every morning, and seen my life quality improve significantly. After reading this thread and extensive research, I realized that it was so much deeper with coffee. Currently reading a book called World Atlas of Coffee. Knowledge bomb!

Also an off-topic gratitude to Rip for recommending Worcester sauce for beef marinating. This week, I cooked ground beef with it for the first time in my 30 years of living. WOW!

Came here for strength, reaped good taste of life too.

I ran out of coffee this morning and had to squat heavy while listening to Ed Sheeran at 5:30am.

I'm gonna start buying bigger bags of coffee, and maybe an emergency tin of Folgers *shudder*. Running out of coffee is no joke. That was traumatic.

starting strength coach development program
    My two cents. An expensive solution for the lazy (me). Not perfect but decent.

We have a Jura Capresso machine. It makes one cup at a time by grinding whole beans on demand. It has a good quality burr grinder. We bought it because one cup (6oz or 12oz) at a time fits our lifestyle and we require whole and fresh beans. It has a legitimate pressurized brewing system.

These machines are expensive and costly to fix and maintain. However, there are entrepreneurs who sell EVERY part and post repair videos. We are on 15yrs on our machine. Buy once, cry once.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast