starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What if Rip’s wrong...

Default ...what if Rip's wrong (this little girl doesn't care)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If Rip happens to be wrong about a thing or two, it will never matter to the severely autistic little girl on her dad’s shoulders in the attached photo. Riding on her dad’s shoulders is one of the few things that calms her and lessens her stereotypy. Problem is, she’s built like a tank. When she turned four, her dad started telling her he couldn’t carry her because he had a “bad back.” This really pissed her off. Hell hath no fury like a pissed off autistic kid. Then her dad spent about $20 on a blue book. Next thing she knew, her dad was back in the stereotypy-lessening game, carrying her on his shoulders, throwing her in the air, spinning her around the living room. These activities are punctuated by sounds most adults are not blessed to often hear: squeals of delight and deliriously ecstatic laughter.

Rip could be wrong about a lot of things, but the little girl in this photo will always be grateful he taught her dad how to avoid his recurring bouts of shoulder impingement; what it means to set the lower back in extension; what an 'erector spinae' is; that a strong old back is better than a weak old back; and that deadlifts and squats are the key to getting what his daughter’s “special needs” require most from him – strength. Strength in the big muscles, not the “strength” (if it can be called that) he’d been developing over the preceding two decades of on-and-off dumbbell stuff, boot-camp stuff, HITT stuff, p90x stuff, Insanity stuff, etc. That stuff made him feel good about himself, but it didn’t give the girl in the photo what she needed. Rip’s program made him feel even better about himself and it gave his daughter what she needs.

IMG_3451.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by woodenj View Post
    If Rip happens to be wrong about a thing or two, it will never matter to the severely autistic little girl on her dad’s shoulders in the attached photo. Riding on her dad’s shoulders is one of the few things that calms her and lessens her stereotypy. Problem is, she’s built like a tank. When she turned four, her dad started telling her he couldn’t carry her because he had a “bad back.” This really pissed her off. Hell hath no fury like a pissed off autistic kid. Then her dad spent about $20 on a blue book. Next thing she knew, her dad was back in the stereotypy-lessening game, carrying her on his shoulders, throwing her in the air, spinning her around the living room. These activities are punctuated by sounds most adults are not blessed to often hear: squeals of delight and deliriously ecstatic laughter.

Rip could be wrong about a lot of things, but the little girl in this photo will always be grateful he taught her dad how to avoid his recurring bouts of shoulder impingement; what it means to set the lower back in extension; what an 'erector spinae' is; that a strong old back is better than a weak old back; and that deadlifts and squats are the key to getting what his daughter’s “special needs” require most from him – strength. Strength in the big muscles, not the “strength” (if it can be called that) he’d been developing over the preceding two decades of on-and-off dumbbell stuff, boot-camp stuff, HITT stuff, p90x stuff, Insanity stuff, etc. That stuff made him feel good about himself, but it didn’t give the girl in the photo what she needed. Rip’s program made him feel even better about himself and it gave his daughter what she needs.

IMG_3451.jpg
    Dammit, just a second, I've got something in my eye.

Wooden, You said it all.

If Rip was dead wrong. I would still use SS 3rd Ed as a textbook for my kids when they start learning physics. They need to understand gravity, center of mass. and what a moment is. They will learn how to understand moment diagrams from using the SS as a primary reference.

IMG_3451.jpg
    Wow. Just... wow!
    As a dad myself you know... ah fuck, that eye thing seems to be contagious.

IMG_3451.jpg
    Of all the reasons why stronger is better....that's just awesome.

Hell hath no fury like a pissed off autistic kid. Then her dad spent about $20 on a blue book. Next thing she knew, her dad was back in the stereotypy-lessening game, carrying her on his shoulders, throwing her in the air, spinning her around the living room. These activities are punctuated by sounds most adults are not blessed to often hear: squeals of delight and deliriously ecstatic laughter.
    My dad with my brother. Same story, minus the squats/pulls. Keep up the great work

Wow! What a transformation, wooden. Sending my best as a fellow parent of a child with autism.

My own relevant-to-the-thread story: Earlier this week, I was driving my old dog home from the vet when I saw a pickup truck lose control and drive straight into a retention basin that was flooded with very cold water. I hopped out to see if I could help, in part because I happened to have wellies in the trunk.

Anyway, I get down there, and the guy seems okay but in shock, and he needed help getting out of the truck. He was a larger, old dude, and the truck was pitched over by maybe about 35 degrees. Water was entering the cabin from the passenger’s side, and given the temperature, there was some urgency to this.

I’ll do my best to describe the move it took: I planted my feet on the running board, planted my ass onto the edge of the basin, bear-hugged him, and then did a sort of incline-deadlift-clean & jerk thing, with a twist to one side, to maneuver him over to dry land. He walked away from the accident with a few scrapes and one less truck.

I started my LP on September 27 of last year and very recently moved over to Texas 4-day. There is *no way* I could have done this beforehand. Yet now, it didn’t even set my training back — I was a bit late to the gym, and I had to shower some crud off of me before lifting, but I still did my normal program for that day without issue.

Like wooden, I doubt any of the onlookers would have argued that Rip is wrong.

starting strength coach development program
    The Starting Strength method is a life changing. When my friend first started to lift and i saw him doing all the main lifts while i was doing them wrong and he said to me to buy the book and read it, i said will "buy it". I didn't bought it. That was a huge stupid mistake i did and lost a lot of time almost 3 years i could get strong and progress on the lifts. I am 21 years old now, and before 2 years i went to the IAF(Israel air force) and in the base we have a gym and there i met guys that was doing intermidiate program(Texas method), and one of them saw me trying to learn the squat and the deadlift and he said to me that i have some problems with it. I thought i was doing all right but actually i wasn't. He said to me the same exect thing my friend said to me when i was training with him at 18, buy the blue book and read it. Thats time i ordered it, read it and learned everything a novice need to know about how to train and get stronger the right way and not in a dumb, time wasting methods that wasting peoples time. I am still learning and now reading the Practical Programming for Strength Training 3rd. Mark Ripptoe and his crew, the SSC doing life changing job and i myself understand now how actually this method can change a life of an old person that loses his ability to move, or being independent into his late life time and even more scary is this old people finally ending in the Nursing home and i call it:"The death care ", cause year ago i understood what actually happaning in this places here in Israel. Old people without the ability to move/ talk /walk/ shower alone got a shit care from "Nurse" that even dont have a degree in Nursing in couple of places here in Israel, and this Nurisng home hire them for work there and they just abusing this old people and this is very hard to think about how this old people suffer. I wish one day this Nursing home will become history. Thank you Mark for all of your doing, its really a life changing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12