starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoist Mi7 dual action -- is this any good?

Default Hoist Mi7 dual action -- is this any good?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I would like your read on the Hoist Mi7 Smith machine. It has dual action mechanics such that it goes up and down, and forward and backwards so as to attempt a free weight motion. As its on a smith machine, there is no lateral movement. Would that result in significantly fewer stabilizers getting worked out? Or is this machine more or less as good as a free weight? 100% 800% 50%?

I am working with my coop and am trying to convince them to get a squat rack for our gym so that I can do free weight barbell exercises. There is a good chance that they will say no due to insurance and safety concerns – what if a person leans over and drops the barbell off to the side. Therefore, this machine maybe my only option other than the dumbells that I am currently using, but am beginning to max out on.

The machine can be found at HOIST Fitness | Strength equipment

What do you think?

I think you know what I think. Part of using a barbell while standing on your feet is the fact that you can fall down unless you make sure you don't, and that the bar path is under your direct control. This piece of expensive shit does not fit our program.

Oh, I thought this thread would be about guns.
    Sorry, my bad.

But Rip! It has water bottle and tablet holders! Does your rack have water bottle and tablet holders????

What's worse is that these machines do not prevent a free fall scenario where you stumble or lose control and drop down to the floor. It's a trap, like an overly heavy bar on a bench press, except that a spotter can immediately set you free in that case. And while freak accidents can occur at any time (hence "freak"), I think there's something to be said about avoiding needlessly dangerous situations. As Rip points out, there's no beating free weights, so why risk graver injury for lesser reward?

You can drop a bar and be free, maybe jump out from underneath a bar (don't try it) or let safety pins catch it (better). But getting pinned in a machine is a very real threat and not so easily avoided or remedied.

Tell the co-op that any device where the barbell can't tilt is a deathtrap when bench pressing.

Smith machines can and do kill people on the bench press.

Barbell Safety | Matt Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by JasonS100 View Post
    I would like your read on the Hoist Mi7 Smith machine. It has dual action mechanics such that it goes up and down, and forward and backwards so as to attempt a free weight motion. As its on a smith machine, there is no lateral movement. Would that result in significantly fewer stabilizers getting worked out? Or is this machine more or less as good as a free weight? 100% 800% 50%?

I am working with my coop and am trying to convince them to get a squat rack for our gym so that I can do free weight barbell exercises. There is a good chance that they will say no due to insurance and safety concerns – what if a person leans over and drops the barbell off to the side. Therefore, this machine maybe my only option other than the dumbells that I am currently using, but am beginning to max out on.

The machine can be found at HOIST Fitness | Strength equipment

What do you think?
    With certain (quasi)smith-machines, you can still do a free barbell squat in if that bladed-j-cup-array is wide enough to accommodate a bar.

You just use the other side opposite the one the bar is stored on. Just throw a bar in it.
    Hopefully you're gym has olympic width barbells...steal one from the bench station.
    The safeties still function like a regular squat rack.

Not ideal for a few reasons, but better than nothing for sure.

The question was about buying one of these things, not rescuing the money after the fact.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The question was about buying one of these things, not rescuing the money after the fact.
    A smith machine is only good for one thing in one place: an electric arc furnace as scrap. That could be their form of reclamation.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast