starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I unable to do the power clean due to my arm proportions?

Default Am I unable to do the power clean due to my arm proportions?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am just beginning the starting strength program. I tried teaching myself the power clean this past week, but I was unable to find the proper rack position no matter what I tried. At first I thought it was due to inflexibility, but in the book it says that people with long forearms might not be able to use the exercise.

I am 6'0", with an arm span of 6'4". I'm not totally sure how to measure arm dimensions properly, but I tried to measure my forearm and upper arm, and I got 12" forearm (measured from wrist bump to end of the elbow) and 13.5" upper arm (measured from the side of the shoulder, I think right around the rotator cuff, to the bottom of the elbow).

I realize it may be difficult to know for sure without examining me in person, but does it sound like I am someone who needs to do the power snatch instead of the power clean?

Video?

Here's a video of me trying to hold a rack position.

I think I got pretty close to a proper rack position this time. I can get my elbows up. The main issue is I feel like I can't get the bar on my deltoids. My hands feel like they are too far back (close to the neck). It is difficult to get the weight off of my hands.

If I widen my grip, I start to feel like I am twisting my arms too much, and it is very uncomfortable.

There is nothing wrong with the rack position. Not One Single Thing.

Okay. Thank you for the confirmation.

I dont even need to look at your images or read your full post. The answer is "NO". Do your cleans.

This hate for powercleans is pathetic. When/where I started lifting in 1984 in the fetid perineum of this country there was no such thing as power clean, a snatch, a clean and jerk, a clean and press or a snatch. The Weightlifts (?) and their variants were verboten, they were called "overhead lifts" Finally, I guess due to Crossfag and the efforts of Rip, cleans, snatches, jerks and presses became acceptable and open and notorious. Finally. In 2010 (or so) I was inspired to try a power clean at the age of 40 after buying and resding the tan book. No problems. No limb length discrepancy, no flexibility bullshit, no coordination problems - nothing. And I was obese and weak as piss at that time.

All these pussies refusing to clean need to take a long hard look in the mirror as ask themselves, "what kind of man cannot powerclean 135 to his shoulder and press it overhead?" I know this is not a lot of weight and its not an impressive feat. Thats the point. Just do your fucking cleans. All of you. I gues some of the old biddies that Sully trains can sit it out. I dont know. But if youre GenX or younger, sack the fuck up. Clean the fucking bar.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Clean the fucking bar.
    What if I don't have arms, tho?

Btw, OP asked because Rip specifies that not everyone can safely, productively do them. Snatches are the replacement lift in those cases.

Rip also specifies that everyone needs to do them who can, and that you don't know you can't until you try. And guess what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Rip also specifies that everyone needs to do them who can, and that you don't know you can't until you try.
    Yeah, he can be a real battleaxe, as Norm MacDonald would put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And guess what happened?
    He tried and failed to teach himself to clean so he wanted an out, when really he should've tried 100 more times and maybe gotten a coach or second opinion. It took me months to learn how to clean all by myself, long forearms and all. I'd advise everyone to keep at it, especially beginning novices. And hit me up for a form check in PMs if you need it. I'm always free to help and eagre to practice.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    eagre
    Finally, a misspelling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast