starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High BP

Default High BP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

I had my annual check up yesterday and was surprised to see my BP at 130/90. I do have some family history of high BP.

Stats:
    39 years old, 6,1" 225lb.
    Current 1RM's:
    Squat - 390
    Bench - 325
    OHP - 225
    Deadlift - 430

I have been hitting up the Schwinn AirDyne 2-3 days a week for the last month or so (coming from basically doing zero cardio), gradually upping the intensity. I will be the first to admit I need improvement here.

The PCP told me just what you would expect... lower salt, lose weight, DASh diet, etc

I've searched this forum and know all about the conflicting reports regarding salt intake, saturated fats, etc. I have a blood test scheduled for next week so I don't have any cholesterol numbers for you but I can tell you that I watch what I eat for the most part and I only drink socially.

Before I chalk this up to shitty genetics do you have anything suggestions/ideas? Am I freaking out over nothing and just need to get back under the bar?

Thank you!

So this is the first time you've had a BP come in slightly higher than normal, and you're worried. At least they didn't prescribe something. Were you sore or in pain when they checked you? When was your last heavy workout before the appt?

BP readings can vary widely, take BP readings at home over a few weeks and get a good baseline. My home baseline is 121/77 but I have measured 140/90 at the docs office when stressed and caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So this is the first time you've had a BP come in slightly higher than normal, and you're worried. At least they didn't prescribe something. Were you sore or in pain when they checked you? When was your last heavy workout before the appt?
    Was your arm supported when the reading was taken? Did they use an Adult X-Large cuff? Did they release the pressure 2-4 mm Hg per second? Was it a resting BP, or did they stand you up and race walk you in from the waiting room and then immediately slap the cuff on you? I could go on and on.

If you have an arm larger than 14 inches, the small cuff will read you high. Do not let them put this shit in your medical records.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you have an arm larger than 14 inches, the small cuff will read you high. Do not let them put this shit in your medical records.
    I did not realize this. I have ~17 inch arms now and have been reading in the 150/90 range ever since I started getting bigger. What can I do to get an reliable reading?

They make a thigh cuff. If they do not have one, they are not equipped to read BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Chapman View Post
    Was your arm supported when the reading was taken? Did they use an Adult X-Large cuff? Did they release the pressure 2-4 mm Hg per second? Was it a resting BP, or did they stand you up and race walk you in from the waiting room and then immediately slap the cuff on you? I could go on and on.
    Me too. BP readings are almost never taken correctly or with care when they are doing their intake measurements. If that was just used as a screen quick screen for high that was investigated when it showed up that way, I could forgive it, but only if those numbers were not entered in any record. You have to fight pretty hard to keep the nonsense numbers off your chart, but I recommend it.

I have had the small cuff problem myself with a few medical practitioners, mainly nurses who take your BP and the occasional doc who does it themselves. If the cuff seems small, point out the size of your arm. That always got their attention. Every medical place I have encountered so far has a larger cuff. If you want to monitor your BP at home, you can get one of the digital self inflators with a larger cuff, but you have to look at the box carefully.

starting strength coach development program
    I sat on the edge of the table, arms and legs dangling. I would say I was in a pretty relaxed state. As far as the cuff size, I think they used the larger one, there was another one that I assume was smaller hanging off the wall. They took it twice, once by the nurse and the other by the nurse practitioner.

I lifted heavy the day before and had a pretty intense cardio session about 3 hours before the apt.

I have a follow-up appointment in 3 weeks. In the meantime time going to try to clean up my diet, keep hammering the cardio, and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you all for the comments!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast