starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling SS

Default Selling SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,
    When I talk to older people about SS, I often get the same reply. Barbell training is for younger people.

What suggested article and or video do you suggest I send them?

This last friend of mine is 66 and retiring in the next 8 weeks and wants to start working out.

Thank you,
    Matt

This is the one I printed out and gave my dad that finally got him training:

Exercise, Government-Style | Mark Rippetoe

The sound isn't great but the lecture is

Thanks

Showing people the starting strength online coaching instagram works pretty well.
    "Look at this ordinary guy squatting 4 plates for reps. He 40, has 3 kids and less than 4 hours a week to train," among other very impressive lifts.
    I think there's a few very valuable things going on here.
    1) The people shown on the account are just that; ordinary people. It's easier to see yourself getting as strong as them.
    2) It becomes obvious that things like a 3-plate squat aren't feats reserved only for athletic freaks.
    3) The clients shown here are doing things that are much more impressive than any other instagram/internet "trainer."

Sorry to say I gave up trying to "sell" SS to older people a while back. Too much frustration and in the end no matter how many 'success' stories or science or whatever you show them, they still think cardio is the only excercise that matters.

Are you interested in selling SS? What would be the price?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaimi Kuenzli View Post
    Showing people the starting strength online coaching instagram works pretty well.
    "Look at this ordinary guy squatting 4 plates for reps. He 40, has 3 kids and less than 4 hours a week to train," among other very impressive lifts.
    I think there's a few very valuable things going on here.
    1) The people shown on the account are just that; ordinary people. It's easier to see yourself getting as strong as them.
    2) It becomes obvious that things like a 3-plate squat aren't feats reserved only for athletic freaks.
    3) The clients shown here are doing things that are much more impressive than any other instagram/internet "trainer."
    It has been my experience that this is not as good of a selling point as you would think it is. If I show a 60 year old female someone squatting 315, there initial thought is that I am going to make them do that day one and they're now scared to death..."Oh I could never do that". So to me, why put a negative thought in their head that they are going to be crushed by weight. Now, if you have someone who does want t be that strong, it is a tremendous motivational tool. If you have someone who wants to start "working out", I would first try to ascertain what "working out" means to them. If they think it is cardio, sprinkle some cardio or GPP in there ALONG with the resistance training. Sometimes you have to give the client a little of what they want to get them to do what you want.

I think the best way to sell the idea of resistance training is no different than selling anything else, find out what their issues are (ie: blood work isn't where it should be, A1c is on the rise, fear of brittle bones etc), and then educate them on how resistance training is a key component to remedying those issues. If they aren't on board with that, move on...you can't save everybody.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast