starting strength gym
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Denver

The People's Republic of Boulder, Colorado

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Nice to meet you this Weekend, Jay. Best of luck to you with the final stretch of the real estate negotiation process!

JayLivsey is offline Owner, Starting Strength Denver

Nice to meet you too Jayson! I look forward to getting you down to check out the gym!

The landlord's team returned from their weeklong pre-Memorial Day vacation and responded to the LOI. Once we agree on the HVAC situation, we will be ready to move to the lease phase. I should have more updates coming this week.

We received the lease at the end of business on Friday. We are currently reviewing the lease and will hopefully have this part wrapped up in a week.

How exciting for you. Best of luck!

Thank you! We should have all of our lease notes back to the landlord by lunchtime today and hopefully have the final version by Friday. We already have the floor-plan finalized so that piece of the puzzle is ahead of schedule!

We heard from the landlord's attorney yesterday, they are updating the lease with our latest comments and we should have this thing signed by the end of the week!

Just so everybody knows, lease negotiations have been the bottleneck in every one of these locations, without exception.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Once landlord negotiations are done, the city inspection and permitting process begins. It's ALMOST as much fun.

It'll be worth it. It's a kick-ass location with great visibility, tons of parking, and more floor-space than is needed.

And more importantly, a great coach/owner team. Excited to see this come together!

This is exciting, Ray!

I was hoping to meet you at the Denver Seminar last month. You were there Friday night, I heard, but I missed you.

-I heard a rumor that you approached Rip with this concept of creating Starting Strength gyms. Is this true?
    -Do you live in California like your profile says (I heard you lived here in Denver)?
    -Why have the lease negotiations been so difficult?

-If you have space, I would like grab coffee if you are willing. Are you open to that?

My background:
    -I've worked as a strength coach using Starting Strength methods for over 10 years (took the seminar in 2009 (thru CrossFit), 2010, 2018, 2019).
    -I failed the certification last month. The write-up said that I was very close, and that they hope to see me back soon.
    -I've gone through the Barbell Logic - Coaching Academy program (formerly SSOC-Coaching Academy), hired Anna Marie SSC through SSOC to improve my own technique and programming (she rocks!).
    -I've competed in Powerlifting three times, achieving a 1,500 lb total (yes, I had full depth on the Squat; no, I didn't grip wide on the Bench).
    -I've competed in Strongman three times.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Beall View Post
    This is exciting, Ray!
    Thank you! We are really damn excited about the progress of the gyms. Denver is especially interesting because of how physically active the culture is there. And because the owner, Jay, is an ex-pro golfer. Jay's going to show the golfing world what Starting Strength can do for the long game - when his buddies join the gym and get their squat to 315.

I was hoping to meet you at the Denver Seminar last month. You were there Friday night, I heard, but I missed you.
    Wasn't around this past seminar, but I was the year prior. Jay was there Friday night, if I'm not mistaken.

-I heard a rumor that you approached Rip with this concept of creating Starting Strength gyms. Is this true?
    Yessir, my favorite Rip quote from that first meeting in Wichita Falls was something along the lines of, "well, now that I know you're not full of shit, let's go talk to Stef."

-Do you live in California like your profile says (I heard you lived here in Denver)?
    Yep, I'm here in Orange County, California. I spent some time in Denver and Breckenridge as a kid, but never lived there.

-Why have the lease negotiations been so difficult?
    Imagine the most hungry, motivated, fast-paced entrepreneur you know. Now imagine the opposite of that. This is the reality of most commercial real estate landlords, for reasons that are hard to understand. No one is in a rush. A simple request (like getting an A/C unit checked) can take weeks. A simple contract change, like defining the "use" of the space, can also take weeks. Setting a time to see the space, getting questions answered about it, getting an LOI in place, negotiating the LOI, getting a lease drafted, negotiating the lease, redrafting the lease, getting a signature on the lease.... It can take MONTHS. Especially if process falls through and a gym owner has to start over.

-If you have space, I would like grab coffee if you are willing. Are you open to that?
    Next time you're in Southern California, drop me a line from the website (ssgyms.com) and I'd be happy to show you one of my favorite coffee shops and talk lifting and business.

My background:
    -I've worked as a strength coach using Starting Strength methods for over 10 years (took the seminar in 2009 (thru CrossFit), 2010, 2018, 2019).
    -I failed the certification last month. The write-up said that I was very close, and that they hope to see me back soon.
    -I've gone through the Barbell Logic - Coaching Academy program (formerly SSOC-Coaching Academy), hired Anna Marie SSC through SSOC to improve my own technique and programming (she rocks!).
    -I've competed in Powerlifting three times, achieving a 1,500 lb total (yes, I had full depth on the Squat; no, I didn't grip wide on the Bench).
    -I've competed in Strongman three times.
    Awesome. Glad to hear you're a diehard. Don't give up on the cert, I failed the written my first time around. It's the hardest thing I've ever done academically. Keep at it, it's worth it.

Looking forward to meeting you next time you're in town. If you need an excuse, there are four great affiliate gyms in SoCal (two in OC) to check out. If not, let's meet at Denver's opening event.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast