Starting Strength Houston Starting Strength Houston - Page 8

starting strength gym
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Starting Strength Houston

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

• wichita falls texas march seminar date
    • woodmere new york april seminar date
    Testimonial from one of our founding members, Kahne O'Banion! She's one of my favorites - she shows up, does the work, and gives Josh all sorts of hell in the process!

Kahne's Testimonial

Anyone else looking at Thanksgiving in terms of macros and sheer volume that will be available?

If it were not for the fact that I have no car or money, I would train here.

My macros will consist of Turkey, Turkey, and more Turkey.

There's a reason that turkey is cheap.

I’ve been training at SS Houston since it opened in August, and over the past several months, I’ve really come to appreciate the methodology, and how barbell training is applied to a wide variety of individuals, with a range of anthropometric qualities, fitness levels, knowledge, and experience. This, with a focus on steady, achievable, progressive goalsetting mirrors the principles I’ve used for years on the job.

I work in Physical Therapy, at a large Acute Care hospital, and the main focus is the utilization of carefully applied, graduated physical stressors that improve physical ability, including strength, endurance, and fundamental mobilization skills. This can apply to a wide variety of individuals, from the higher-level, fully ambulatory patient to the deconditioned senior who must deal with multiple comorbidities, to the traumatically-injured patient with multiple fractures and the inability to bear weight through several limbs.

From a different perspective, mobilizing these types of patients often requires therapy staff to utilize a great deal of physical strength, and I’ve seen far too many coworkers get injured at work over the years because they lacked it, and I was determined to avoid this outcome at all costs. I’ve been in this field for over a decade (having effected a career change in my 30’s), and I have noticed a decrease in my strength levels over time. Patients admitted into the Acute Care setting these days are becoming larger, more deconditioned, and more dependent on others for mobility, and the greater the amount of mobilization force that Therapy staff can utilize, the safer and more effectively the treatment session will go, for both patients and those working with them.

Regardless, getting patients to participate to the fullest extent of their ability, and increasing their tolerance to activity by progressively increasing the difficulty of activities throughout their hospital course is the key. While there are some instances in which therapy can and should be deferred or skipped, for the most part, there is usually something that most patients can do, to participate and improve their physiological lot, a bit at a time. Sounds a lot like barbell training to me!

These similarities are what attracted me to Starting Strength in the first place, and the continued progress and growth I’ve experienced has made training not something that I’ve resigned myself to doing, but instead greatly look forward to. I’m grateful to the staff of SS Houston for sharing their expertise and energy in both my personal (and professional!) development. Thanks, everybody!

Thank you Andy! We love having you at the gym.

Looking forward to seeing your continued progress!

starting strength coach development program
    For those interested in attending the Nutrition Camp at Starting Strength Houston on Feb. 1st but are still unsure as to what it entails...click the link...

Starting Strength Nutrition Camps: An Overview

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678