starting strength gym
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Press well ahead of bench press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a 28yo male and finished the LP at 212lb/5'10"/207x5 bench - with some previous lifting experience in college, working with a coach with 100% compliance, and sufficiently answering the Three Questions... So this guy's numbers really don't seem that out of line to me if he's training in slightly less ideal conditions, and if my assumption about him having ape arms is correct as indicated by the deadlift. Perhaps the OP can confirm/deny this so I can stop speculating.

Were you using RPE along with your "LP"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then why share it with us? The man weighs 230, and his bench "stalls" at 190 x 5??? Because he's not doing the program.
    Maybe this already exists, maybe it shouldn't exist, but every time the discussion gets around to program conformity, I wish there were an article that talks about the various common ways of fucking the program up. I find myself having to cut to 2 instead of three exercises (usually do squat and 1 other) and sometimes 1 or 2 instead of 3 days/ week due to life and I would really like to have a better sense of how various tweaks are going to impact my progress (to maybe choose more wisely, to make adjustments the next session, etc.). Life is full of constraints -- how can one best degrade the program gracefully? Maybe it is really already there -- I know "lack of time" must be one of the main constraints you built the program around for your gym members. Maybe there are an infinite number of ways to screw it up -- a description of what the "top 10" ways people fuck it up in your experience would be interesting.

Were you using RPE along with your "LP"?
    Descriptively only, at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wilson View Post
    Descriptively only, at the time.

Describe your last 3 bench press workouts in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKreg View Post
    I wish there were an article that talks about the various common ways of fucking the program up. I find myself having to cut to 2 instead of three exercises (usually do squat and 1 other) and sometimes 1 or 2 instead of 3 days/ week due to life and I would really like to have a better sense of how various tweaks are going to impact my progress (to maybe choose more wisely, to make adjustments the next session, etc.). Life is full of constraints -- how can one best degrade the program gracefully?
    You want someone to write an article about how not following the program is going to ruin the results of the program?

Describe your last 3 bench press workouts in detail.
    195@rpe9, 200@rpe8, 205@ rpe10, 202@rpe8 , 207@rpe12

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    You want someone to write an article about how not following the program is going to ruin the results of the program?

207@rpe12
    HUH?? 12??

Since its subjective, why stop at 10? Who makes the rules on feelings? Last week I squatted 375 for sets across and it felt like rpe of 10...I thought I would fail on reps 4 & 5 of every set but I managed to finish.

Today I did 380 across and it felt just as hard.....so what does it matter what I felt?

You guys over-complicate this shit. If you are squatting in the 600s then it doesn't matter what I say/think. But the rest of just need to keep adding weight and forget about feelings.

But Mad, if it feels really hard, you don't have to go up. Right?

starting strength coach development program
    But Mad, if it feels really hard, you don't have to go up. Right?
    Right, you can just go down in weight until it feels easier and then go back up. Just like life. You just show up when you feel like it.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast