starting strength gym
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Press well ahead of bench press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This was about a year and a half ago, so unfortunately I can't comment on the weather or what I had for breakfast that day. That said:

10/4/17
    BW: 203.3
    BP: 200x5,5,4

10/9/17
    BW: 204
    BP: 200x5,4,4

10/13/17
    BW: 204.2
    BP: 200x5,5,4

At this point we reset and moved to a mix of triples and fives. This ended at:

12/15/17
    BW: 211
    BP: 204x5, 217x3,3,3

12/19/17
    BW: 210
    BP: 206x5, 219x3,3,3

12/24/17
    BW: 211.6
    BP: 207x5, 220x2,3,2

Since I was missing reps and had already reset once, I got the green light to just move on.

What was the workout just before the 200x5,5,4? And how long were you resting between sets?

9/29/07
    BW: 201.2
    BP: 197.5x5,5,5 with a note that I almost missed the last rep

Resting 6-7min between sets. I should also clarify that I was working with SSOC at the time, so I'm not just BSing you based on my subjective novice feels here.

Believe it or not, I'm not actually here to troll your Q&A about RPE etc. Just pointing out that the OP's situation doesn't seem crazy based on how things went for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Right, you can just go down in weight until it feels easier and then go back up. Just like life. You just show up when you feel like it.
    Please tell me what you are supposed to do when you have a newborn and sleep ZERO hours some days and 5 hours on a good day? Just add 5 pounds? Just not train? Yeah yeah, NDTFP.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wilson View Post
    9/29/07
    BW: 201.2
    BP: 197.5x5,5,5 with a note that I almost missed the last rep

Resting 6-7min between sets. I should also clarify that I was working with SSOC at the time, so I'm not just BSing you based on my subjective novice feels here.
    This looks correct. Diet is the other variable, and I'm not interested in discussing it.

Believe it or not, I'm not actually here to troll your Q&A about RPE etc. Just pointing out that the OP's situation doesn't seem crazy based on how things went for me.
    Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    Please tell me what you are supposed to do when you have a newborn and sleep ZERO hours some days and 5 hours on a good day? Just add 5 pounds? Just not train? Yeah yeah, NDTFP.
    If you have a newborn and cannot sleep or control your schedule, you CANNOT do the program. The program doesn't care about why you can't do it, and neither do we. This is arithmetic, and that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    I've been there bro...so I understand completely. You just do what you can, when you can, however you can, which is much better than doing nothing. However you have to have a clear understanding that whatever it is you can manage to do, you will still not be doing the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wilson View Post
    Hi Joe, just a question on the diet. Were you following some P/C/F macro voodoo? If so I would stop that shit and focus on Cheeseburgers, Steaks, Mexican food and other high protein/high calorie meals. If I look back at any halts in my progress it always was accompanied by the omission of 5 guy cheeseburgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This looks correct. Diet is the other variable, and I'm not interested in discussing it.
    Why not? All other variables are correct so we know it was the lack of calories that impacted the lack of adaptation. We seem to be getting away from the correlation between increased strength gains and the increased intake of quality calories. The idea that we had to get used to eating an uncomfortable amount of calories for steady progress has been replaced P/C/F macro talk (not by you of course, but by many of the SS community) Does Chase break out his P/C/F macros or does he just eat a ton and kick ass?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Why not?
    I just get tired of arguing about it. Let the guy stay at a 200 bench. I don't care.

Is it just me or do things going increasingly sideways once trainees stop working regularly with SSCs or end their membership with SSOC? And by sideways I mean progress grinds to a halt?

starting strength coach development program
    Seemingly.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast