starting strength gym
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Press well ahead of bench press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by damufunman View Post
    Ok, but I don't believe this is a discussion on form, but programming. Having less than ideal form isn't going to prevent one from getting stronger, provided they don't get hurt, right?

I'm just curious how you rationalize "it works every time it is applied correctly" with the examples given in this thread, where we have a trainee that is pretty damn compliant, and still not seeing results or appropriate programming changes.
    Telling me to go away will not change these things, and is an unsatisfactory answer, especially for someone who once said they are willing to have a discussion and question things.
    Of course it prevents you from getting stronger. This is a joke right?

Fuck this place is like the dumb leading the blind.

A devastating rebuttal.

The Starting Strength Method works, but it is brutally hard and not for everyone.

If you read my training log on this forum you will find over 2 years of evidence that the program will work under less than optimal conditions, and you will see that my progress has come to a grinding halt whenever I failed to train consistently (program hopped) or I tried a different (easier) method of training.

I joined SSOC 2 weeks after my baby boy was born because I finally recognized that I needed coaching if I was going to continue to enjoy my life long pursuit of strength. I am a 32 year old, 5’ 8” tall, and 235 lbs. Fireman. I don’t keep track of my macros, I just eat a lot. Between work and having a baby at home I don’t have an ideal sleep schedule, I just sleep a much as I can whenever I get the opportunity. I have had workouts where I head out to my garage gym after getting off from my 24 hour shift with my 6 month old son to keep me company. I am tired but I still lift. The weights feel really heavy some days, but that is OK, because the weight is supposed to be heavy. Under these less than ideal circumstances I have still managed to set a new squat PR of 555x3 and I have tied previous PRs on the other 3 lifts. This program requires consistency and effort. My wife can usually tell when I have lifted heavy because I will have petechiae across my shoulders and chest. I have had the occasional nose bleed, and I have broken a blood vessel in my eye a couple of times.

Can the OP, Joe Wilson, or any of the anonymous posters in this thread honestly say that they have put forth their absolute best effort under fairly good circumstances and failed to make progress? If so, I am sorry to hear that. Not everyone can be as strong as a competitive lifter. Life isn’t fair, but don’t blame the method.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Rodriguez View Post
    Can the OP, Joe Wilson, or any of the anonymous posters in this thread honestly say that they have put forth their absolute best effort under fairly good circumstances and failed to make progress? If so, I am sorry to hear that. Not everyone can be as strong as a competitive lifter. Life isn’t fair, but don’t blame the method.
    There is some serious truth in this quote.

Re: dude whose bench stalled, says in SS:BBT 3rd Edition, “when you miss the last rep or two of your last work set, ...back up 5 pounds...”

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Rodriguez View Post
    Let's recap, as it seems I wasn't clear enough:

Read the book? Check, twice.

Adult male? Check, ~212lb at 5'10".

Microloading? Check.

Resting enough? Check, 6-7min.

Eating enough? Check, ~4000kcal/day and gaining weight consistently (BW 175->212lb).

Sleeping enough? Check, averaging 7.75hrs.

Low life stress? Check - stable job, relationship, social circle, no deaths, etc.

Getting coaching? Check, with SSOC as well as two in-person sessions.

Doing the prescribed work? Check, with 100% compliance.

Avoiding useless RPE? Check, it was descriptive only at that time.

Stalling at ~200lb bench for 5s? Check.

If that doesn't count as "best effort under fairly good circumstances" then I honestly don't know what the hell you're expecting. In fact, I would call it "best effort under nearly ideal circumstances." And let's not forget we're talking about bench here. What guy is going to sandbag his bench, of all things??

Anyway, I didn't say I failed to make any progress - if that's the only criteria for success as a novice then we have a bigger problem here. I just pointed out that much like the OP, I didn't have particularly impressive bench results on LP for the amoung of weight I gained. I train in my friend's home gym, and he had a nearly identical experience while checking all the same boxes. He was admittedly even more diligent with tracking his macros than I, and his extra effort was rewarded with a staggering 205 bench for 3x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schmidt View Post
    Re: dude whose bench stalled, says in SS:BBT 3rd Edition, “when you miss the last rep or two of your last work set, ...back up 5 pounds...”
    I'm sure his SSOC/SSC woulda caught that and adjusted accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wilson View Post
    Let's recap, as it seems I wasn't clear enough:

Read the book? Check, twice.

Adult male? Check, ~212lb at 5'10".

Microloading? Check.

Resting enough? Check, 6-7min.

Eating enough? Check, ~4000kcal/day and gaining weight consistently (BW 175->212lb).

Sleeping enough? Check, averaging 7.75hrs.

Low life stress? Check - stable job, relationship, social circle, no deaths, etc.

Getting coaching? Check, with SSOC as well as two in-person sessions.

Doing the prescribed work? Check, with 100% compliance.

Avoiding useless RPE? Check, it was descriptive only at that time.

Stalling at ~200lb bench for 5s? Check.
    Video?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    I'm sure his SSOC/SSC woulda caught that and adjusted accordingly.
    I guess...? Look at the lifters response- he repeated the same load twice after missing the first time on the last set. So he didn’t drop 5#, he increased the load and did doubles and triples

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast