starting strength gym
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Boston

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Arthur - let's get a Zoom meetup for the Boston folks on this thread. See if you can collect some emails from these award-winning clowns.

Tybor
    Great idea. I thought our meetups would need to be on hold for the foreseeable future. But we could Zoom for sure. Would be great to connect with people. Beer won’t to be as good in a virtual meetup but hey you can’t have everything!

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

The lease is signed! Arthur, fill us in on the details.

Yes!!! Lease at last! I just shared the news with my Early Interest List subscribers. Boston's first Starting Strength Gym will be at 993 Watertown Street, West Newton. It's West of Boston right off of Mass Pike I-90's exit 16.

The location has 2,400 square feet of glorious space in the basement level underneath CVS. The gym entrance will be in the rear of the building facing the parking lot -- yes, there is a small parking lot in addition to street parking! The target opening date is Spring 2021. That allows time to draw up architectural plans, get building permits, complete construction, install all the weight equipment, and then have a grand opening. I can be more specific with dates once I'm further along the process.

Thats a pretty good location. Traffic through there is tough in the evenings, but that’s true of all Metro Boston, and anyplace without traffic would be remote enough to be unappealing to lots of people.

One major plus is that it’s walking distance to Blue Ribbon BBQ, which will no doubt be scandalously inadequate for any visiting Texans, but is among the best barbecue up here in the great frozen northeast.

Default Blue Ribbon BBQ ... Meetups?

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    One major plus is that it’s walking distance to Blue Ribbon BBQ, which will no doubt be scandalously inadequate for any visiting Texans, but is among the best barbecue up here in the great frozen northeast.
    Hmmm. Tell me more about this BBQ place. Is it a delicious "hole in the wall" takeout style place or does it have a dining area? I'm looking for a comfortable spot near the gym with space for us meetups every quarter Boston's Starting Strength community. We did one pre-COVID at Trillium Brewery in Canton which is great but not near Newton. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Frontczak View Post
    Hmmm. Tell me more about this BBQ place. Is it a delicious "hole in the wall" takeout style place or does it have a dining area? I'm looking for a comfortable spot near the gym with space for us meetups every quarter Boston's Starting Strength community. We did one pre-COVID at Trillium Brewery in Canton which is great but not near Newton. Any suggestions?
    Blue Ribbon is basically a takeout place, with a small counter and maybe a couple cafe tables outside. They do catering, and if you’re looking to have some food at the gym it would be a natural choice. I’m sure it’s takeout only right now. The kind of place you’re looking for, to have a meet up, was a couple doors down, the Local, which is now closed and may not survive the lockdown. Hopefully it or something comparable will open in that space when the restaurants can come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Frontczak View Post
    Yes!!! Lease at last! I just shared the news with my Early Interest List subscribers. Boston's first Starting Strength Gym will be at 993 Watertown Street, West Newton. It's West of Boston right off of Mass Pike I-90's exit 16.
    Congratulations Arthur! If nothing else, no one can ever question your commitment to both the SS community and to the opening of your gym. Many lesser men would have given up the chase by now given the many arduous circumstances with which you've been confronted. I wish you every success and look forward to more details about the gym as they become available.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    The kind of place you’re looking for, to have a meet up, was a couple doors down, the Local, which is now closed and may not survive the lockdown. Hopefully it or something comparable will open in that space when the restaurants can come back.
    I’ll watch for it. Hope they reopen. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reid View Post
    Congratulations Arthur! If nothing else, no one can ever question your commitment to both the SS community and to the opening of your gym. Many lesser men would have given up the chase by now given the many arduous circumstances with which you've been confronted. I wish you every success and look forward to more details about the gym as they become available.
    Thanks so much! I have some dark real estate stories that I won’t go into here. I’m grateful that part is finished so I can focus on opening. Build it and they will come! I’ll keep the updates coming

Thanks to everyone for the messages of congratulations and support! Had to share two photos that Robert from Tyngsborough (northern Boston suburbs) included in his email to me. He asked me for some tips on building deadlift platforms a few months back and voila! He’s making it work at home in style. Love this man’s priorities
    86BFB643-8026-42CB-B21E-6E6E6E2B3207.jpg

As the gym buildout process begins, I'm posting pictures on Starting Strength Boston's Instagram and Facebook feeds. Go check it out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

starting strength coach development program
    The space looks great Arthur. It will be interesting to see how this variation (I think Ray called it industrial, but please correct me if I'm wrong) of the SS Gym setup comes together.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast